• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Gain Knob for MC250

bbow01

Active Member
This is my first "real" post on AK after the Introduction post that I recently submitted.

As I mentioned in my Intro, I picked up a used MC250 with a missing gain knob. After a week or so of internet searching I've failed to come up with a replacement opportunity. The part number is 090-017. If anyone could point me to a possible source, I would greatly appreciate it! (Audio Classics did not list one as being available.)

Thanks,
Brian
 
Register to hide this ad
That knob has been mentioned a few times around here as NLA / missing, it is used on several models including my own MC75s.

If you can't find one new, keep watching the auction site, occasionally someone parts out an amp and the knobs will be available.
 
Those look like 090-067 knobs but may have to do for a bit. I'll keep checking auction sites. Thanks for checking!

Seller claims they don't have markings but they could probably be painted on. @VintageMac should be able to verify if they'll fit the control shafts. I would think so.
 
Sorry I had to delete the Ebay links. I did it before someone reported it and the whole thread might be tanked. Ebay links are only allowed in the Dollars & Sense Forum.
 
Sorry I had to delete the Ebay links. I did it before someone reported it and the whole thread might be tanked. Ebay links are only allowed in the Dollars & Sense Forum.
Thanks. I went ahead and put it on my watch list and am going to pull the trigger on it. If one of the original knobs turn up in the next several months, so much the better.
 
Well, I thought this was a dead issue, until I just picked up a replacement gain knob for my MC250. See the pic below. When I bought it (very) used, it had a missing gain knob. The one that was installed on it was the one on the right in the pic. The MC250 Service Manual, as well as the McIntosh "Knob" parts manual both list 090-017 as the replacement. I saw that AC had one in stock and I ordered it. It is shown on the left as the larger as the two. My question is this...which one really came with the MC250? All of the pic's that I've seen on the Service Manual, Flyer (sales brochure?) various images online, look like they have the smaller one on the right. Both have the silver trim in the center. I actually like the look of the smaller knob but have no idea as to the part number. (Maybe 090-068?)
 

Attachments

  • upload_2022-1-2_15-15-51.jpeg
    upload_2022-1-2_15-15-51.jpeg
    55.2 KB · Views: 10
Well, I thought this was a dead issue, until I just picked up a replacement gain knob for my MC250. See the pic below. When I bought it (very) used, it had a missing gain knob. The one that was installed on it was the one on the right in the pic. The MC250 Service Manual, as well as the McIntosh "Knob" parts manual both list 090-017 as the replacement. I saw that AC had one in stock and I ordered it. It is shown on the left as the larger as the two. My question is this...which one really came with the MC250? All of the pic's that I've seen on the Service Manual, Flyer (sales brochure?) various images online, look like they have the smaller one on the right. Both have the silver trim in the center. I actually like the look of the smaller knob but have no idea as to the part number. (Maybe 090-068?)

Looks like that style knob came in two sizes both of which were used on the C8s preamplifier. My guess is that the smaller is the correct one for the MC250. 20A787D3-7694-4F8E-95EE-634017A07727.jpeg
 
Back
Top Bottom