• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Garage sale etiquette.

Another mans junk is another mans treasure. I agree as well, I've waited patiently for the sale only to leave dejected by being told quick draw was already there and gone the night before. If I happen across a yard sale or estate sale I'll swing in with the intent that everything good is gone already and maybe find a gem. I always look in boxes under table as sometimes the individual having the yard sale has forgotten to table some items. Score one for the underlings. They can't get everything : )

Yeah, I generally have come to expect not to find anything worth my while but still hope to be pleasantly surprised. My problem is I have a regular job and most of the sales start on Thursday or Friday when I can't go. When Saturday rolls around, most of the good stuff is usually gone. I could send my wife out but she don't know the peas from the pod. Just something I have to live with I guess.
 
Harry Truman was a small tailor and petty strongman from the Kansas City area, but circumstances moved him into first local, and then national politics, and then he was swept into being Vice President. Circumstances again dictated that he become the leader of the most deadly campaigns ever against the Japanese nation, killing over 100,000 people in Tokyo in one night bombing run, and then over 300,000 people in Hiroshima and Nagasaki with the one A bomb and one plutonium bomb. He was decidingly uncivil in his pursuit of unconditional surrender.

Man, this thread's got it all.
 
Thanks, I just alerted my old fraternity that there is some free beer in the works. Nothing better than cold pizza and colder beer for breakfast, when you are 20.
 
A good story. Waiting in line at an estate sale and there were the regulars some whom had shown up the night before. Well there I was 30 deep and every one of the regulars know what I came for. A simple razor. So about 20 break off through the garage while the rest walk to the tables where the estate sales people deemed high value items. Jewelry, Hats, mink, smoking pipes etc. You know what's cool? All of them passed on the razor I wanted and if you were sharp you also noticed those ahead of me passed on some expensive hand made hats which another regular behind me likes to collect.
One of the better and more cordial sales I went to. Any one of the VERY sharp collectors ahead of me could have snatched up the that entire table but we all played nice. A fun day for everyone concerned.:)
Why do you go for the razor, do you collect them. My father (rip) used the kind that drop in a razor top side. I still use his foaming brush and use shaving soap dish. your post made me think of him... thanks. He had a record player when I was young - probably why I have an affliction for turntables I have several.. cheers : )
 
Why do you go for the razor, do you collect them. My father (rip) used the kind that drop in a razor top side. I still use his foaming brush and use shaving soap dish. your post made me think of him... thanks. He had a record player when I was young - probably why I have an affliction for turntables I have several.. cheers : )
Yes I still collect them though not as often as I did. I've dialed back that side of the hobby by 90%. If I casually run into them then I get them but don't go to antique stores or out of my way anymore. Like all hobbies I paired it down to a few I like and sold the rest. I still have a decent collection just not the high value items.
Here is a pic of the display cabinet at one time.
Yes I still use them and consider it still the best shave ever. Ironically Gillette still makes the best double edge razors around.
My favorite has to be the Gillette Fatboy razor and a German Apollo razor. Both I found for $5. Both will out live me. If you like any advice on which to get pm me. Be glad to help. Thanks for sharing your memories of your dad. Very cool.
 

Attachments

  • $IMG_20140614_144639_326.jpg
    $IMG_20140614_144639_326.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 28
  • $IMG_20140614_144802_855.jpg
    $IMG_20140614_144802_855.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 27
  • img_20130506_190337_985.jpg
    img_20130506_190337_985.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 26
  • $IMG_20140614_145538_812.jpg
    $IMG_20140614_145538_812.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 26
  • $IMG_20140614_145551_716.jpg
    $IMG_20140614_145551_716.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Yeah, I generally have come to expect not to find anything worth my while but still hope to be pleasantly surprised. My problem is I have a regular job and most of the sales start on Thursday or Friday when I can't go. When Saturday rolls around, most of the good stuff is usually gone. I could send my wife out but she don't know the peas from the pod. Just something I have to live with I guess.
I have seen ads for stereo and tubed equipment (which was a good find for me) during the week when your off you can get to the ones that regular day shift workers can't get to. People overlook them thinking others have already been there. I went to this 82 year guys house 50 minute drive Only to get my first tube tester in excellent working condition and all the tubes he had collected. He threw in all the electrical mag's from the 50's. 60's and 70's for free. I was the first person to show up. The ad was up for over two weeks. The house was run down (bad) when I walked in it was not kempt. So when he when in the other room to get the gear. I looked in his fridge, it was bare to say the least I closed the door; at any rate we tested the tube tester. he included a spare nos # 83tube for the tester. Loaded it up in my truck. I when back in to use the bath room and left an extra fifty dollar bill for food on his stove. I paid the asking price. Good karma is everywhere and in everyone ! just reach out and give some : )
 
Yes I still collect them though not as often as I did. I've dialed back that side of the hobby by 90%. If I casually run into them then I get them but don't go to antique stores or out of my way anymore. Like all hobbies I paired it down to a few I like and sold the rest. I still have a decent collection just not the high value items.
Here is a pic of the display cabinet at one time.
Yes I still use them and consider it still the best shave ever. Ironically Gillette still makes the best double edge razors around.
My favorite has to be the Gillette Fatboy razor and a German Apollo razor. Both I found for $5. Both will out live me. If you like any advice on which to get pm me. Be glad to help. Thanks for sharing your memories of your dad. Very cool.
Nice very nice indeed . I have a silver cased stropping kit to sharpen blades (two sides). I'll try to find it and send you a pic or two. I found it at a yard sale. haha Second picture! that's it ! That's the one my father used. I remember hearing the swirl of water and slight tapping in the black and white porcelain bowl. he use to play Boney M night flight to Venus's "Brown girl in the ring" while shaving I still have the record. I would never think of playing it as it would destroy my styli.
 
I took another look at your fine equipment. wow and again very nice. It's an art to use. Do you lightly steam your face before with a kettle.
Makes me want one now..
Thanks for the images and the memories.
 
Why do you go for the razor, do you collect them.

Speaking for myself:

Vintage razors like many older items remain viable today. Current models are not necessarily better just different. For double-edge razors, they are mastered quickly for most and then you can settle in to enjoying the massive cost reduction on blades. 100 high quality blades are under $20 mailed and will last most 400-500 days.

Where collecting comes in is that you will want to try out many different ones before you find one that works best for you, same for blades. Although most double-edge razors shave well, some will work just a bit better on your face. That is part of the process as well as the hunt. Some of my faves were $1 table flea market finds.
 
Yes I still collect them though not as often as I did.

Some great pieces there. I went into warp drive hunting about ~10 years ago. Even a few years ago I would still easily find good ones. Now, mostly what I find are mechanically damaged, plating gone, or hard water destroyed so I pass. The last good razor I bought was on BT here, a new production Merkur 3-piece. It's a daily user.
 
Back
Top Bottom