• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Garrard idler-wheel turntables

looking through the accessories for the 95 it did indeed come with an extra center spindle, this one being changer style. It is in fact identical to the one used on the 630s.

No, the SL95 changer spindle is most emphatically NOT the same as that for the 630S.
 
No, the SL95 changer spindle is most emphatically NOT the same as that for the 630S.

Yes, I stated that a bit wrong I believe. What I meant to say as opposed to 'in fact' was more-so 'from what I can tell'. Looking a bit more analytically at the spindle for the 95 it has a bit more curvature than that of the 630s, but that's all I can really make out.
 
Get a Duel, you'll never look at a Garrard again. IMO

Or a Miracord. But the Garrards are nice. They have a certain mechanical and styling charm. I will never get rid of my SL-95B or Zero 100C. I don't play them as much as some of my other turntables but I do look at them more often.
Rick
 
Get a Duel, you'll never look at a Garrard again. IMO

Which Garrard are you speaking of? You can't be serious to think that any Dual beats a restored 301/401, and as somebody who owns a 1219 and 1019, I can say with confidence that neither one beats my Lab 80 MKII. I like them all, but the Lab 80 has that something extra that is as seductive as it gets.
 
Yes, I stated that a bit wrong I believe. What I meant to say as opposed to 'in fact' was more-so 'from what I can tell'. Looking a bit more analytically at the spindle for the 95 it has a bit more curvature than that of the 630s, but that's all I can really make out.

The curvature is because the SL95 spindle (also for the SL75, 72, their "B" variants, the Zero 100, Zero 92, 82, SLx3, Model 74...and I've probably forgotten a few) is designed to pull records off a side platform to the rear. That side platform keeps the top of the record player clear of the overarm that swings over the stack of records in the 630S and similar models whose spindle is straight, and works with a straight stack of records stabilized by the overarm. The 640S and similar models in the "Reverse Unimech" series (the 630S is a plain "Unimech") have a spindle that curves and slants like the SL95 spindle because they, too, have a side platform to support the record stack, and no overarm.

The bottom ends of the spindles where they engage the mechanism, are different and the Autoslim-type spindle, which that chassis having an overarm, is straight, is different yet. I've got pictures around here, someplace. NONE will properly interchange and function with the others.
 
It's interesting that Dual only had two different changer spindles. One for the 10xx series and another for all later changers. Miracord only had one type of changer spindle for all their models as far back as I can remember right through the last changer they made. Of course, Miracord didn't make any where like the number of different models that Garrard made.
I guess the engineers at Garrard must have really liked designing changer spindles.
Rick
 
It's interesting that Dual only had two different changer spindles. One for the 10xx series and another for all later changers. Miracord only had one type of changer spindle for all their models as far back as I can remember right through the last changer they made. Of course, Miracord didn't make any where like the number of different models that Garrard made....

You probably will have a hard time finding a Dual 10-series automatic spindle that still works because their rubber wedges for holding up the rest of the stack while the bottom record drops, would go the way of all things rubber, rotting and falling off and letting the records drop on the tonearm. They must have been made of the same material from which Dual's stupid steuerpimpel was made.

I devised fixes for both, when I was in the repair business. Made a lot of money off broken Duals.

The metal wedges in the 12-series spindles are dangerous to records, particularly heavy shellac 78rpm records because they put too much stress on the center hole and can crack it.
 
Yes, those rubber wedges on the Dual 10-series automatic spindles were an unfortunate weak spot. I've fixed many myself. A piece of vacuum cleaner belt rubber works great.
Rick
 
Parts you need to scrounge around for, some parts still exist. Garrard changers from the Unimech era are difficult to repair and cost more than their value to restore. Those were hated by technicians when they needed repairs.
 
I've had a couple idler wheels rebuilt by Gary, but I haven't really inquired about other Garrard parts. I've gotten some parts from members here on barter town that had a junker though. The antiskate mechanism on my Lab 80 and the cartridge mounting plate on the AT6 were BT scores.
 
Gary is GREAT to to business with. He has Garrard idlers in stock so you don't even have to send a core.
 
Back
Top Bottom