• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Garrard Model A II Turntable Platter Removal

robertnjax

Active Member
Hello Everyone,

I am trying to remove the rubber mat and the turntable platter from my Garrard Model A.

I was able to remove the center cap and large c-clamp.

Is there another fastener holding this platter in place?

Thanks,
Robert
 
Register to hide this ad
nope, just the big C clip around the center of the spindle. Gently pry up on the inner platter a bit and whack the bit of stub sticking up in the center with the handle of a screwdriver or something else thats not metal. It'll pop loose.
 
Thanks for the advice. I'll apply some Liquid Wrench or a little WD-40 to the center shaft and let it soak first.

It's a nice turntable that I would like to clean out all of the old hardened grease and check the idler wheel and motor.

Thanks again,
Robert
 
Not sure the lube will help a lot. That center bit is tapered and over time the steel inner platter settles on it, making it a light press fit. They are nice machines though. I have one myself.
 
To remove the inner table, I use 2 butter knives. Warp a piece of electrical tape on them so you don't scratch the motorboard and wedge them between the board and inner platter and pry up. The inner platter should pop off.

You might want to mark the original position of the platter to the bearing race before you take it apart.
 
I just tried the two butter knife approach.

Well, you were absolutely right and the platter came off without a lot of drama.

Thanks a lot,
Robert
 
Great! I actually have to go over mine again. The changer mechanism isn't shutting off and the tonearm goes to the 7" position and gets stuck in a loop--plays and plays and plays....

One thing--I leave the C clamp off the inner table in case I have to remove it again. Too much of a pain.
 
I think that clip shot across the room when I did mine. I don't think its on there either. I know the one on the Lab 80 is gone. It was bent outward too much to fit right, and I broke it trying to close it up.
 
My Type A has that same repeating problem when there are no records left on the stack. I tried everything in the service manual to no avail, and for now have decided to live with it...
 
Back
Top Bottom