• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Garrard plinth help

Lkapon

New Member
Good afternoon everyone. I have a question about garrard plinths. I acquired a lab 80 mk 1 last night with no plinth. There is an at 60 kinda local to me for 10 bucks. Do any garrard gurus know if this plinth will work for my lab 80? Thanks in advance for any replies.
 
Register to hide this ad
Definitely will not. The Lab 80 is a fair bit larger than the AT60 and the cutout is very different.
 
I had one custom made by an older gentleman that lives near me. He used some mahogany-veneered oak that I provided, salvaged from an old piano. It's beautiful and heavy. I just oiled it. No stain needed for mahogany.
 
Thank you for the quick replies. I was afraid of that sizing issue. I was so pleasantly surprised at how in your face this little guy is. I'm sure it helps that it was fitted with a v15 ii with a basically new super track stylus. Well I will keep looking and maybe I will put the walnut slabs I have sitting around to use. Thanks again guys!
 
Honestly the stock Garrard plinth is nothing special. Thin plywood with some veneer on it. I've got one under each of my Lab 80. Arguably the most useful part of it is the top plate to use as a template to cut out a better plinth. I don't happen to know if the docs online are full scale so you can use those for the template instead.
 
I have made a few of them in the past for people, and still have 2 lying around. Didnt care much for garrards and even duals thin top, over time they sag. but you can get the cut out on line. i Think I uploaded all the manuals on vinylengines web site and can download it there and cut it out if want to do it that way.
DSCI5887 black cherry.JPG
 

Attachments

  • DSCN2663 black walnut dyed red mahagony.JPG
    DSCN2663 black walnut dyed red mahagony.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 2
yeah the top does droop somewhat. I think its 3/16 or 1/4" stock. Not much for sure, and the 80 is a fairly heavy machine.

One trick with them though, you may need to countersink around the retainer screws. They are only so long and if the plinth is too thick they bottom out on it. Not a big issue, just something to be aware of.
 
Thanks for the replies! I actually found another 80 that had plinth and a perfect condition hard top. Not the flimsy cake top. So I am.going to use plinth as a jig and I have some nice walnut to make a new one from. I actually have been really enjoying restoring this oĺd 80.
 
Back
Top Bottom