• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Garrard RC88/4 - Cartridge/ Stylus question

Rich Osborne

New Member
Hi guys,

New to the forum here! I have just picked up a sweet stereogram cabinet which is in great condition. The radio still works exceptionally well but I'm going to need to invest in getting the turntable reconditioned.

The drive mechanism is likely to need some work. I'm leaving that to a pro!

The head has the 'press and turn' option to play 78s or LPs. The head and cartridge seem to be in good shape and the 78 stylus looks fine but the LP one is down to a tiny nub.

I'm no expert so would appreciate some advice on what I would need to buy in order to play stereo LPs on the system once it is all fixed up.

I've heard about M7D cartridges and stereo stylus but would like so clarification if possible.

Thanks in advance!
 
Register to hide this ad
Big issues here are : This is a 1950's record changer design. When this was built, 4 gram tracking forces were considered very lightweight. The GE cartridge you have is MONO only. This is most likely a VR II fitted to yours. Yours is wired for Stereo. But you may need a headshell for it wired for Stereo, and a suitable cartridge (and there really today aren't many currently available cartridges this arm will play nice with since Shure ceased making cartridges). The Shure M7D cartridge was what most of the RC 88 Stereo models were fitted with in my area when new, it hasn't been produced since sometime in the 1960's, For 78 and pre 1965 mono, the RC 88/4 was nice. If you're mainly going to play LP discs, and Stereo a priority, look for better. A properly rebuilt Lab 80 is a way better option for playing non 78 RPM discs on.
 
...The head has the 'press and turn' option to play 78s or LPs. The head and cartridge seem to be in good shape and the 78 stylus looks fine but the LP one is down to a tiny nub.
I sounds like you have a GE cartridge which is monophonic. How to tell? Check the back end of the cartridge; if there are two pins, it is mono, if there are four pins it is stereo. If it is mono, you will need to check if the RC 88 is a mono or stereo version. How to tell? If there are two rca cables connected underneath. If it is stereo you are good to go. If it is mono you must add another shielded cable to the tonearm.

...I've heard about M7D cartridges and stereo stylus but would like so clarification if possible.
The Shure M3D or Shure M7D are stereo cartridges that should work well with your RC 88. Another option is the Pickering NP/AC. I have used, on my Garrard RC 88, all three types with good results. Tracking force will need to be about 5 grams for proper changer operation.

Welcome to AudioKarma. Let us know how things work out.
 
I sounds like you have a GE cartridge which is monophonic. How to tell? Check the back end of the cartridge; if there are two pins, it is mono, if there are four pins it is stereo. If it is mono, you will need to check if the RC 88 is a mono or stereo version. How to tell? If there are two rca cables connected underneath. If it is stereo you are good to go. If it is mono you must add another shielded cable to the tonearm.

The Shure M3D or Shure M7D are stereo cartridges that should work well with your RC 88. Another option is the Pickering NP/AC. I have used, on my Garrard RC 88, all three types with good results. Tracking force will need to be about 5 grams for proper changer operation.

Welcome to AudioKarma. Let us know how things work out.

I just picked up (excuse the pun) an ORIGINAL GARRARD RC 88/4 RECORD PLAYER W/ CARTRIDGE. I have researched the pros and cons of stereo conversion. The original condition is a plus for play back of the same era records I have all the way back to 1 sided 1902's. I already have a Garrard 209 for stereo LP's from the same era also. What is the first thing I should check on this Garrard RC 88 when it arrives? Thanx s-l1600 - 2021-02-15T131237.788.jpg s-l1600 - 2021-02-15T131332.737.jpg s-l1600 - 2021-02-15T131355.878.jpg
 
Looks like its missing one of the stylii, not sure if thats the LP or 78 one, but at a minimum that will need to be replaced if you want to run it. I'd replace both so you know what you are starting with. Thats a GE RPX cart. Very good mono, very bad for stereo. Its a stellar 78 cart tho. Basically you've got a twin to mine, an original mono machine with an RPX on it. Mine gets used for 78s only, or it will whenever I put the preamp that has the multiple EQ curves back together.

Usual problems with these are sticky lube and hard idler wheels. Mine also had bad motor mount grommets that let the motor sag out of position. Basically the fix for lube problems is you take the whole thing apart, clean out all the sticky old lube, replace with a bit of fresh grease or oil depending on the particular part, and put it all back together. The motor wants oil in each end of it, the idler wheel probably needs at least a sanding to get through the hard outer "skin", but it might need a rebuild if the rubber is too far gone.
 
Back
Top Bottom