• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Garrard SL95B Rehab Project

FluxT

Super Member
Been a while since I last worked on a turntable, but I couldn't pass this one up. Picked up a Garrard Synchro-Lab 95B on Marketplace for the whopping price of $0 from a guy clearing out an old rental house on the east side of Seattle. Wish I'd asked for more details on the story, or if anything else was left behind, but I didn't feel like pressing my luck or being too nosy. This one looked well taken care of, with an unusual plinth and a clean dust cover, so I figured it was a classic case of Garrard Glue.
bafkreif7rapngld7kcafpn7vh6wsce53g56l76wsmet7p6d5arolcknyri.webp
bafkreig62wstns2jfgqyg7oduun4guaqonfd6ym5zy7cctk26bcroyyqpy.webp

The first order of business was replacing the very sketchy-looking power cord, which was held together with duct tape and a dream. I replaced it with a generic cord from the hardware store, and got to trying this thing out. According to him, the motor worked but wouldn't stay on. True to his word, the motor started and immediately shut off when I tried the manual on-off switch, which is a good thing since the motor sounded absolutely horrendous. I tore it apart expecting the magnet to have separated from the rotor (a notorious failure point on the early Synchro Lab motors), but thankfully it was just a dry bearing. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the idler tire and motor mounts were still in great shape, and even more surprised to find out that the familiar dark brown Garrard Glue was missing, and in its' place was a strange green grease. A sticker under the tonearm indicated that it had been serviced in 1994, indicating that the previous owner really took care of this thing. The old grease cleaned up pretty easily, and it only took a couple hours to get everything apart and back together again. The big switch assembly under the platter put up a bit of a fight, being almost frozen in place, but some penetrating oil and a heat gun worked it loose so I could clean the old junk out and give it a few drops of sewing machine oil.

bafkreifo4yayypuv5ckrcvnnsfwz765v3j6uhxvrvrwyf5efbc3nxuxgc4.webp

bafkreid4evpq2rfthyryhd6q2lqmegj6rf7tprdxbofuyrzqnelphxdqky.webp
bafkreietiion5u2wr5fl5lx3ryp3rxhpupjk7dvs4mazu3hyjuybyxxvtm.webp
Amazingly, everything worked like a charm once I had it buttoned back up, even the auto changer! That has almost never happened in all my history of working on these things. Anyone who knows these know they put up at least something of a fight before they're properly sorted again, but this one's been ready to go. I gotta say, I'm quite impressed with this thing. My previous experiences with Garrard left me somewhat cold - they always felt a bit clunky and flimsy, with rumbly platters and clattering mechanics that never inspired confidence compared to their Dual rivals. However, they got a lot of things right with the SL95B. The tonearm is solid, the anti-skate weight doesn't fall down, rumble is minimal, and the switches are smooth and no longer jostle the entire turntable. The headshell is honestly the biggest letdown of this turntable, as there is no provision for aligning the cartridge in the headshell, you just gotta bolt it in and pray it's aligned properly. The Shure M75ED T2 that it came with sounds just fine, and tracks reliably at 1.25g, but it's going to make finding a nice replacement cartridge a bit tricky since there isn't a standard distance between the tip of the stylus and the mounting holes as far as I'm aware. If I end up hanging onto it, I might try and 3D-print an adjustable headshell. Other than that, I just need to track down or fashion a single-play spindle, since it only came with the auto-stacker.
 
Register to hide this ad
@FluxT

Great write-up. I enjoyed stepping through your project - with great pics.

(Almost like being there...)

Appreciated. :thumbsup:
Thank you, this was a rewarding project. I'm a sucker for these idler-drive auto-changers, and I can lay the blame squarely on the SL95B I once spotted at an antique mall about 15 years ago. It was the full kit, with the stacker spindles, the scalloped walnut plinth, a smoked dustcover, and I believe a Shure M75ED, all for a cool $175-200ish. I was just starting to collect records, but didn't have a single good turntable to my name, and I thought it was just the prettiest thing I'd ever laid eyes on. I went home to do my research, and was sufficiently put off by the horror stories of sticky grease to go put my money elsewhere. Knowing what I know now, that was most likely the right choice, but I'm sure it would have served me well. So in a way, it's sort of a roundabout homecoming moment for me in this hobby.

As far as cartridges go, what are people running on these nowadays? I'd forgotten that the headshells only allow you to screw a cartridge in from the bottom, which rules out my go-to cartridge (the AT-VM95), so I'm on the hunt for something else that can thread in from the bottom. It does seem like the higher-end VM5xx series allows for bottom-mounting, which could be an interesting if expensive proposition. Of course, there's always the perennial favorite, the AT3600. The Ortofon OM or 2M lineup seems like a good candidate as well, although I've never been terribly impressed by them in terms of tracking. There's also a myriad of aftermarket styli for the Shure M75, but the quality just doesn't seem to be there unless I were to spring for a JICO.
 
@FluxT

Good on you for back-tracking and ticking the GARRARD off your bucket-list.

As for cartridges, I'm not 100% sure I understand the mounting issues, having never encountered such a headshell.

Also, I'm not sure if your GARRARD has a ferrous platter...

But if it's mounting needs and metallurgy comply, I would thoroughly recommend the venerable DENON DL-110 High Output MC.

I know some dis it in favour of Low Output MC options, but this completely misses the point. The DENON DL-110 is dynamic all hell with its massive output and brings many of the positive attributes of MC to the masses - without the need to upgrade your phono rig.

Super-silent in the grooves, dynamic and extended at both ends of the frequency spectrum, the baby DENON brings a hint of warmth through the mids and works well on every tonearm from a REGA RB-Whatever (all of them) to a LINN Whatever (all of them) to a TECHNICS Whatever (all of them) to a WAND Plus unipivot. It really is a very flexible and co-operative dance partner.

Best of all, after it 300-700 hours of "first life" motoring, the DENON DL-110 can be rebuilt with a boron cantilever and upmarket stylus and then goes head-to-head with some of the best $1,000 cartridges around.

Ask me how we know! :biggrin:

Just a thought...


BORON DENON DL-110 A.png
 
The Denon could certainly be an interesting option, but alas MC carts are too rich for my blood at this stage in my life. Still very high on my audio bucketlist though!
 
@FluxT

You can nab a new DENON DL-110 for just over $US200 if you are patient - and shop around.

The other option is to find a low mileage one cheap. The DL-110 takes about 30-hours (forever it seems...) to truly come on song - before which time it is decidedly mediocre (ALMOST binned ours... BIG mistake! :biggrin: ).

So, someone might have given up hope at low mileage and be letting theirs go cheap...
 
That arm is pretty forgiving. They don't get the attention but they're really smooth, and they seem to have aged very very well. The sl95 is starting to reclaim its reputation in the vintage world. Couldn't give one away a few years back.

The ol shures are my favorite, the sl95 will work well with light and medium trackers. Heavy not so much, be curious how the low compliance carts work out for you. You can still readily find medium vtf shures, and the "black diamond" or whatever aftermarket that came out a few years back I've found pretty darn good for the price.

My absolute favorite cartridge for it is the shure m75e-95g. It's unlike any other, and must use good oem styli. Can only go on this arm so you can still find em. Unskippable, scratch proof they say, it uses gentle springs. Word is it was designed for boats and cars, the way it rides it's almost like the cartridge is damped. But you must use a high compliance styli that can track 1-1.5g. It will not work with most modern replacement styli.
 
Fascinating, I've never heard about that! The spring suspension is absolutely wild. I think Zenith or Admiral tried something similar around that time in their stereo consoles, but I've never seen it implemented in a proper high-fidelity turntable. Even with the normal M75ED, this thing seems pretty immune to footfalls on my springy apartment floors. Probably wouldn't skip if a car hit it.

I struck out on finding any Black Diamond styli for the M75, so I went for broke and ordered an AT3600L. Bit of a shame, since the BD for my Shure M91ED was one of the few cheap aftermarket styli I've tried that actually sounded decent. Of course, maybe things have gotten better across the board in the past few years, or maybe I'm not as picky as I once was.
 
I struck out on finding any Black Diamond styli for the M75, so I went for broke and ordered an AT3600L.

The AT3600L is a fine cartridge and the .6mm conical stylus has a charm of its own.

I'm pretty sure this cartridge has a synthetic carbon fibre reinforced cantilever—rather than the standard aluminum tubes found on most entry-level cartridges—which should bring a degree of rigidity and a distinctive warm sound signature.

This rigidity will also allow the cartridge to track safely at a heavier vertical tracking force (2.5 to 3.5 grams).

IMHO conical styli definitely sound better at 2-3g VTF and still manage to be kind to the grooves.

Enjoy!
 
Fascinating, I've never heard about that! The spring suspension is absolutely wild. I think Zenith or Admiral tried something similar around that time in their stereo consoles, but I've never seen it implemented in a proper high-fidelity turntable. Even with the normal M75ED, this thing seems pretty immune to footfalls on my springy apartment floors. Probably wouldn't skip if a car hit it.

I struck out on finding any Black Diamond styli for the M75, so I went for broke and ordered an AT3600L. Bit of a shame, since the BD for my Shure M91ED was one of the few cheap aftermarket styli I've tried that actually sounded decent. Of course, maybe things have gotten better across the board in the past few years, or maybe I'm not as picky as I once was.
It’s the spring applied tracking force. Any table that uses this is superior in fighting skipping caused by floors bouncing.
 
As far as cartridges go, what are people running on these nowadays?
I use Shure M44 cartridges with JICO styli in my vintage automatic idler-drive turntables.

They are plentiful on the used market, have solid bass and higher output which is a necessity with lower power tube amplifiers and have excellent tracking abilities.

basic...


fancy...

 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom