• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Garrard SP25 motor chatter

Markoneswift

Quartz locked n ready to rock
Hey all, I'm working an old Fountain console fitted with the ubiquitous Garrard SP25 mk IV.

My question is, when the motor runs, it chatters quite a lot. This is obviously not right and having pulled the motor out I think I have found the problem. On top of the armature (the round bit that spins, correct terminology ?) there is a loose disc. I first thought it was a bush, or washer, but it looks like it should be attached to the top of the armature. As it is, it is free to rotate and rattle around.

Has anyone seen what I am describing on a Garrard motor ? I'm thinking of just glueing the disk to the armature, would this work OK ?

Cheers !
 
Register to hide this ad
Yes. The glue fails and the disc comes loose. On one I have, that disc has holes part-drilled into it - obviously how they balanced it. If you can use the old glue marks as a reference, you might stand a chance of glueing it back on it the right place to retain the correct balance.
 
Yes, I experienced the same thing with a Garrard motor. Seems a "problem" with a heater/oven at the factory prevented the glue from curing properly. I tried re-gluing but failed although I've read forum posts from others who claim success. In my case, I did not take into account how close the tolerance was and did not center the ring properly - I should have been more patient and studied the situation more closely. Rather than try again because because by this time I'd ruined the original glue markings, I managed to find a used working motor for a reasonable price and installed that.
 
Oddly enough, I had a very similar issue with a direct drive Technics tape deck. I think it got dropped at some point and the counterweight (for want of a better description) fell off the capstan flywheel. This caused a noisy clattering which was resolved with some glue !
 
Back
Top Bottom