• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Garrard Zero 100 stalling

I think that's a changer. See the black thing between the tonearm base and the platter? That supports the record stack. The GT55P is the single version if I'm not mistaken.

Looks like you’re correct. But I don’t think it has the changer spindle. I have one for one of my 2 Zero 100s. Will it work on the GT55?
B85B93A6-2737-4AB9-94F5-B6F6CFEE7BA6.jpeg
 
I’ll give it a try. I hope I like the GT55 magnesium Zero arm. I love the Zero 100’s arm, but it is a tad heavy. I’m hoping I can make better use of a higher compliance stylus+cart. But of course, that depends on how much I can lower the return tripping force. I have it down to 1 gram on both my first Zero 100, and on my old Model 50. It required smoothing the gears, rods, and all rotation/sliding mechanisms to drop it down to that level.

The Garrards are my favorite mechanical full auto tables/changers. Great stuff!
 
you can cheat the Zero's arm by removing the adjustable slide weight and just setting tracking force with the counterweight. Not sure how much it lightens it, but it will reduce the mass by some amount. There is a small pin sticking out the bottom front as a stopper for the weight, and there is a finger spring under it that will fall out if you pull the pin and slide the weight off.
 
I think that's a changer. See the black thing between the tonearm base and the platter? That supports the record stack. The GT55P is the single version if I'm not mistaken.

Right. And other big thing to know. This uses the Matsushita DC motor like the Belt Drive Technics and CEC servo belt drives. And they are failure prone when the electrolytic capacitor in the servo board fails, and takes the unobtainable IC with it (and the motor is also unobtainable new too).
 
you can cheat the Zero's arm by removing the adjustable slide weight and just setting tracking force with the counterweight. Not sure how much it lightens it, but it will reduce the mass by some amount. There is a small pin sticking out the bottom front as a stopper for the weight, and there is a finger spring under it that will fall out if you pull the pin and slide the weight off.

Yes, I know all about that. I have 2 Zero 100 tables; a single play and the single/changer model. But the main arm wand is “massy” regardless of the CW and brass slide. No getting around it.
 
Right. And other big thing to know. This uses the Matsushita DC motor like the Belt Drive Technics and CEC servo belt drives. And they are failure prone when the electrolytic capacitor in the servo board fails, and takes the unobtainable IC with it (and the motor is also unobtainable new too).

To my knowledge, from what I’ve taken apart, cleaned, relubed, these are AC synchronous motors with a PM. Servo board? How about a slight cone-shaped pulley driving an idler?

But if you’re talking the GT55, I guess you could be correct. I haven’t done homework on the drive. I’m waiting to see if it survives the shipping.

I told the seller how to pack it for shipment. He ignored my advice. These are the pics I sent him advising how to pack, what to protect. He did NONE of it. Could be a mute point on the motor. But I will DEFINITELY take your advice if it’s not in pieces when it arrives! So TIA!

For fun: Anyone want to lay odds on it’s safe arrival??? Being shipped FedEx!!


Woo! Hoo!!

Hold down screws and arm secure:
CA462F2C-54E0-49E0-8F91-BF4BCB642C6B.jpeg
3D876EA2-9C1B-4C3F-8F37-E955C1052806.jpeg


B36CD44C-E94A-4549-B48F-1E86933E08A3.jpeg


Remove platter and mat, secure under the base:
B799796C-76E3-45D5-A9B9-A0AE71F2B109.jpeg



Remove Counterweight off the arm:

6315BBDA-D662-4D80-B09F-5EC8289821D6.jpeg
 
To my knowledge, from what I’ve taken apart, cleaned, relubed, these are AC synchronous motors with a PM. Servo board? How about a slight cone-shaped pulley driving an idler?

But if you’re talking the GT55, I guess you could be correct. I haven’t done homework on the drive. I’m waiting to see if it survives the shipping.

I told the seller how to pack it for shipment. He ignored my advice. These are the pics I sent him advising how to pack, what to protect. He did NONE of it. Could be a mute point on the motor. But I will DEFINITELY take your advice if it’s not in pieces when it arrives! So TIA!

For fun: Anyone want to lay odds on it’s safe arrival??? Being shipped FedEx!!


Woo! Hoo!!

Hold down screws and arm secure:
View attachment 2421323
View attachment 2421324


View attachment 2421325


Remove platter and mat, secure under the base:
View attachment 2421326



Remove Counterweight off the arm:

View attachment 2421327

Was discussing the GT 55A.
 
Was discussing the GT 55A.

Ok. Thanks! You’re ahead of me. Once the seller told me that his bubble wrap job would suffice, I pretty much quit holding out hopes that the platter wouldn’t destroy the arm, and the CW wouldn’t break off, and the pivot bearings, alignment arm wouldn’t be in pieces, rattling around in the box.

Scheduled to arrive tomorrow, 14th.

Care to lay odds?
 
Ok. Thanks! You’re ahead of me. Once the seller told me that his bubble wrap job would suffice, I pretty much quit holding out hopes that the platter wouldn’t destroy the arm, and the CW wouldn’t break off, and the pivot bearings, alignment arm wouldn’t be in pieces, rattling around in the box.

Scheduled to arrive tomorrow, 14th.

Care to lay odds?

My money's on you, Wolfie62. That packing job doesn't inspire confidence.
 
If by some miracle it arrives in the same shape it left the seller, you are certainly right. The caps have to be replaced. Power and drive control. I hope the box will pass the “shake”test. At some point I’ll need to sell 2 of the Garrard Zero tables. Once I decide which one I’d prefer to keep.
 
If by some miracle it arrives in the same shape it left the seller, you are certainly right. The caps have to be replaced. Power and drive control. I hope the box will pass the “shake”test. At some point I’ll need to sell 2 of the Garrard Zero tables. Once I decide which one I’d prefer to keep.

Hope the GT arrives intact. Never seen one of these. Like the looks of that arm. The Zeros I have serviced have not had arm issues. Many here have bad mouthed them. Good luck with it and post your repair progress.

Eric
 
Hope the GT arrives intact. Never seen one of these. Like the looks of that arm. The Zeros I have serviced have not had arm issues. Many here have bad mouthed them. Good luck with it and post your repair progress.

Eric

I will post pics. (It’s dirty.) The box passed the “rattle” test a few hours ago. I haven’t yet unboxed it.
 
My money's on you, Wolfie62. That packing job doesn't inspire confidence.
So the IC on the speed control board is prone to failures? That’s disappointing. If it fails, I may have to build a frankendrive for it. I’ve got 2 drives I can pull from other tables. A possibility. But it’s like restacking dominoes; so many things depend on other things. Only takes one domino to start the whole mess falling down.
 
So the IC on the speed control board is prone to failures? That’s disappointing. If it fails, I may have to build a frankendrive for it. I’ve got 2 drives I can pull from other tables. A possibility. But it’s like restacking dominoes; so many things depend on other things. Only takes one domino to start the whole mess falling down.

The motor is the same one used on the Panasonic/Technics belt drive turntables (also used on servo driven CEC built belt drives, like the Sanyos, etc.)
 
The motor is the same one used on the Panasonic/Technics belt drive turntables (also used on servo driven CEC built belt drives, like the Sanyos, etc.)

Good to know! So getting a new drive shouldn’t be difficult, if I need it. Just “purifying it”, or isolating the motor drive from other logic inputs to the drive should be very feasible. No reason to give up on it, if the drive IC fails. Adjusting the speed of a drive board donor, to match the GT55 pulley/drum could be interesting.

The dc motor has sealed, lubricated bearings. That could be good, or bad.
 
Drive on the GT55 is good! Love the light mass Zero arm too. Very precise and moves very easily! Got some refurb work to do. But pretty easy stuff. Gonna have to get some C6 cartridge carriers 3D printed. Hard to find any. Or, modify and make my own cartridge mount.
 
Back
Top Bottom