• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Garrard Zero 92 information?

I have both a Zero 100 and three Dual 1219s. Have stacked 45s with Dual's. They work well. Have had my Zero since last Christmas. Works well.not sure how it might work with 45s. Need to find a 45 adaptor...
 
I have thousands of 45's and 78's and am not willing to play them singly on my Thorens. I am looking for a decent changer to add to my system for this purpose.

I have been looking at the Zero 92, but have not had much luck in locating any information on them. Is it the same as the Zero 100, except for the 78 rpm speed? Which version of the Zero 100 is it most like? Is the 92 a direct drive, belt drive or rim drive? Is the arm exactly the same as on the 100?

Has anybody seen a website that discusses the Zero 92 at all? I have seen several that talk about the Zero 100, and some mention the 92 but that is about all.

Thanks,

Dick Schneiders

None of the Garrard Zero series ever had 78 RPM. Only two speeds. If you're going to buy a Zero, stick to the original model and idler drive. 1942 and later 78 RPM discs are also best played manually, they did poorly in period changers. Specialty discs I also do not stack. If you do use a changer, remember you need something which can track at 3-4 grams for 78 RPM duty. Dual 1019, Dual 1218, the Elac Miracords are much better choices for 3 speed duty.
 
None of the Garrard Zero series ever had 78 RPM. Only two speeds. If you're going to buy a Zero, stick to the original model and idler drive. 1942 and later 78 RPM discs are also best played manually, they did poorly in period changers. Specialty discs I also do not stack. If you do use a changer, remember you need something which can track at 3-4 grams for 78 RPM duty. Dual 1019, Dual 1218, the Elac Miracords are much better choices for 3 speed duty.

Kent, you are right on The Zero 100, no 78 speeds. I did have a Zero 92 with three speeds.
 
That very well may be, Celt. But 1.I can't use one on my OM10Super because they don't make one for it, and 2. I was under the impression that ellipticals have better treble and generally track better overall? I'd say that my tin ears can't tell the difference when an LP is at the platter level or it's 4 discs up. :dunno:
Tom

They do make conical tips for the Ortofon OM, the OM Pro S, several different other DJ variants, and the new light tracking OM 1-S, just introduced. Just so you know.
 
I recently finished "restoring" a Zero 92. What a fun machine. And yes, it is more of a machine, than it is a turntable. Cleaned the mechanics. Found a new vintage power cable, 45 rpm adapter and long spindle over the past year. Refinished the plinth. Added new feet (from another manufacturers table). I am still looking for a proper counterweight, but... one from another parts table does the job fine, and allows me to see the weight I set on the dial :) I will get a replacement real one when I find one cheap enough. So, after a year of work... the table works fine. A Shure 44MA cart with a conical stylus seems best for 45's, which is the whole reason for this table. Stacking singles.
 

Attachments

  • 197742708_10165200383445304_174348603098467799_n.jpg
    197742708_10165200383445304_174348603098467799_n.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 21
  • 197365712_10165200381685304_8148378439679762862_n.jpg
    197365712_10165200381685304_8148378439679762862_n.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 197019461_10165200382575304_2150540232824208359_n.jpg
    197019461_10165200382575304_2150540232824208359_n.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 196888767_10165200385775304_4443197949361902604_n.jpg
    196888767_10165200385775304_4443197949361902604_n.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 196716085_10165200382875304_4230124184341754358_n.jpg
    196716085_10165200382875304_4230124184341754358_n.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 196574403_10165200381325304_486678617335637103_n-1.jpg
    196574403_10165200381325304_486678617335637103_n-1.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 192166471_10165159142035304_1110715305118916494_n.jpg
    192166471_10165159142035304_1110715305118916494_n.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 192120545_10165159141425304_9085720696601443944_n.jpg
    192120545_10165159141425304_9085720696601443944_n.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 191031234_10165151296405304_3595301685245885863_n.jpg
    191031234_10165151296405304_3595301685245885863_n.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 21
  • 197742708_10165200383445304_174348603098467799_n.jpg
    197742708_10165200383445304_174348603098467799_n.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 21
The Zero 92 differs from the Zero 100 in that the bearings in the articulated arm are simply plastic (I assume Delrin) sleeve bearings, whereas the 100 had ball races, or at least something that looked like them. My 92's bearings were worn, but I had a 100 arm and I swapped the bearings.
My big problem was that that one of the arm contacts for the cartridge sled had been bent back and broken, so I ended up rewiring it. Big pain, but got it done. but now, a couple of years later, I have a hum that I haven't tracked down yet.
When I use these tables, I can hear their problems, but I also hear their virtues - the arm, for all its issues, does remove a layer of distortion/fog from the sound, and while it is noisier than the Duals I've used, it is also gutsier - it has the idler virtues (and failings) more than the Duals.
I'd also add that if I were replacing a Garrard with another changer, it would be a Dual 1019 or a ELAC/Miracord (or, if I were feeling optimistic, a PE). I think the later Duals are smoother and less interesting sounding, and have a lot more plastic in them. But tastes differ.
 
  • Like
Reactions: T68
The Zero 92 differs from the Zero 100 in that the bearings in the articulated arm are simply plastic (I assume Delrin) sleeve bearings, whereas the 100 had ball races, or at least something that looked like them. My 92's bearings were worn, but I had a 100 arm and I swapped the bearings.
My big problem was that that one of the arm contacts for the cartridge sled had been bent back and broken, so I ended up rewiring it. Big pain, but got it done. but now, a couple of years later, I have a hum that I haven't tracked down yet.
When I use these tables, I can hear their problems, but I also hear their virtues - the arm, for all its issues, does remove a layer of distortion/fog from the sound, and while it is noisier than the Duals I've used, it is also gutsier - it has the idler virtues (and failings) more than the Duals.
I'd also add that if I were replacing a Garrard with another changer, it would be a Dual 1019 or a ELAC/Miracord (or, if I were feeling optimistic, a PE). I think the later Duals are smoother and less interesting sounding, and have a lot more plastic in them. But tastes differ.

‘Thanks for the info on Zeros. On the Zeros I have worked have been mostly 100s. Picked up this 92 as a project.Have had very few issue with these arms. One had a broken piece on it’s arm. Super glue fixed that. Sound wise the 92 sound really good. Tastes do vary. Married to 1219 and 1229 Duals. All three shown have Shure M91EDS. Like all three but favor my 1229. It had a bad motor, which is rare. I took a copper winding from a 1019 and combined it with the outer part of the 1229. Figured it would run or burn up. It ran. Did that last June. Still running. Have have loads of turntables, but I am especially proud of this 1229.

Eric9433D320-01E9-4DFF-89E1-2128B77F1ABB.jpeg
 
  • Like
Reactions: T68
Apparently the Zero-92 was a significantly cheaper model (80% of the price, according to Stereo Review’s 1975 Stereo Directory) which shared some parts of the Zero 100C, including the motor, platter and a similar (but obviously cheaper) zero tracking error tonearm, and also had the addition of 78rpm speed. The specifications were the same.

The Zero-100C had magnetic anti-skating, while the Zero-92 had a cheaper lever and weight anti-skating device.

I don’t own one, but have always been interested in the zero tracking error tonearm, an ingenious engineering idea with a few drawbacks (mass, friction etc). With the later GT-55, they improved that tonearm with magnesium alloy for much lower mass and also reduced arm friction by a lot, while using jewel vertical bearings for long life and low friction - that's the last and best version of the Zero-100, even if they gave it a different name.
 
  • Like
Reactions: T68
I think the Z100 tonearm is a great piece of British engineering. Mine tracks flawlessly down to 1g vtf (and trips autostop/return without issue).
 
I find these negative comments about Garrard somewhat laughable. I have dozens and have repaired hundreds and while some are lost causes or poorly designed, that would be true of all brands. By in large, from my 301 which recently sold for $15,000 and worth it for a variety of reasons to my half dozen Zero 100 types and others, these are fine tables once on cleans and adjusts them. Duals are often more solid. As are Thorens. But Lenco, Garrard, BSR, Dual, Sony, Technics, and so on all made hits and flops. And Garrard has its fair share of home runs! I just clean up a Zero 92 and it sounds fabulous with no tracking error from its arm design, very little friction in any of its moving parts, a nice heavy, well balanced platter, and after 50 years it still works like a dream as a changer. What's not to love? I expect it will still be be fine when we are all long dead.
 
I find these negative comments about Garrard somewhat laughable. I have dozens and have repaired hundreds and while some are lost causes or poorly designed, that would be true of all brands. By in large, from my 301 which recently sold for $15,000 and worth it for a variety of reasons to my half dozen Zero 100 types and others, these are fine tables once on cleans and adjusts them. Duals are often more solid. As are Thorens. But Lenco, Garrard, BSR, Dual, Sony, Technics, and so on all made hits and flops. And Garrard has its fair share of home runs! I just clean up a Zero 92 and it sounds fabulous with no tracking error from its arm design, very little friction in any of its moving parts, a nice heavy, well balanced platter, and after 50 years it still works like a dream as a changer. What's not to love? I expect it will still be be fine when we are all long dead.

A few years ago I got a Garrard bug. Got a SL 95 to study how they work. Got several Zeros. Gave 2 away to friends. Sold a couple. Should have kept one. Never had issues with the arms. Worked well. Once serviced they worked well. One friend plays his Zero like a radio. Daily. After 4 years it started to slow down. Picked it up, cleaned and oiled the motor. Since I had it apart previously, it came apart easily. Twenty minutes, done. Miss it. Been three years. The other Zeros have not come back.

Worked on several BSR 810s. Kept one for years. Had a really nice Japanese sourced base and cover. Liked it.

Married to Duals. Love the 1219s. Got 3. One one each system. Last year I got the 1019 bug. Let 3 go. Kept one. The 1000 series seem a little easier to service than 1219s.. Recently, I came across two unfinished Duals, a 1009SK and a 1219. Neither needed much. Price was right.

Some comments are laughable. Always looking for another Zero. Like many things the prices have gone up. Did find a Dual 1212 with a Grundig base. Thought I would get outbid. With shipping $56. It’s definitely a low end model. Nice wood base. Keeping the base for my high school replica Dual 1010S. Did get the 1212 working. Have a United Audio base for it. Will head to a new home.
 
Back
Top Bottom