• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Garrard Zero Bushing?

Waterpumpee

New Member
Howdy, howdy.!

I picked up a Garrard Zero 92 yesterday at an estate sale that was not functioning. I lubed it up a bit and now have it spinning with the flick of the switch. When nothing is playing, there is a noticeable coarse grinding noise as the platter spins. I can see where a previous part that served as a buffer between the platter and the motor has deteriorated. I cleaned it up but don't really know what I should replace it with. Any advice on what material should be used here would be greatly appreciated; I understand that this isn't the most desirable TT but I like the aesthetics with the white base/gold accents and unique tonearm.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Howdy, howdy.!

I picked up a Garrard Zero 92 yesterday at an estate sale that was not functioning. I lubed it up a bit and now have it spinning with the flick of the switch. When nothing is playing, there is a noticeable coarse grinding noise as the platter spins. I can see where a previous part that served as a buffer between the platter and the motor has deteriorated. I cleaned it up but don't really know what I should replace it with. Any advice on what material should be used here would be greatly appreciated; I understand that this isn't the most desirable TT but I like the aesthetics with the white base/gold accents and unique tonearm.

Welcome to the AK turn table forum.

None of the pictures you posted are view-able. :no:
 
If you are talking about that dried black ring. I believe it was a foam seal to keep crap out of the lower spindle. Could probably use a piece of felt to replace it. But if there is a grinding noise while the platter is spinning, there might some of that dried up foam in that thrust bearing at the bottom. You need to clean that out.

Picture of my Zero spindle:

garrardzerospindle.jpg
 
Last edited:
That residue is what remains of a rubber O ring. It's purpose is to reduce the mechanical noise made during automatic cycling.

I've rehabbed a couple of Zero 100's and used O rings found at home improvement stores in the plumbing department. The inside diameter just must be wide enough to loosely slide over the spindle shaft and onto the metal washer. Without an intact one for an example, I got a package containing several assorted diameters. Two of them were of a good enough size to use and the package was two or three dollars.

Good chance there are crumbs and debris from it in among the steel balls but I'd say that's not causing the noise you are describing. Could be wrong though depending on how petrified the rubber bits are.

If I heard such a sound made as the platter turns, I'd make getting at the bearing to clean and re-oil it chore number one.

The most time consuming job for me was getting the arm to behave properly starting, stopping and dropping according to the record size selector.

Hate to say, but for me Garrard Zero 100's have been the hardest changers I've reconditioned. I've gotten Dual's and Elac's running in shorter periods of time.

One thing I've needed to get things apart on them was a heat gun. There are most always issues of hardened grease in changer mechanisms but whatever Garrard used was tops in that regard. It bonded some pivoting parts together so well it could have been epoxy.
 
Last edited:
Thanks, guys. O-ring it is. Hopefully a few adjustments will get it operating as expected. Not really wanting to tackle a major disassembly but I would like to keep it--reminds me of my Miracord.
 
Welcome to Ak. One of the issues I see on Zero are the levers that make it function hang up due to dry grease. As said above, the Zero is a harder to work than my Dual. Changing speeds can be an issue. The speed selector can lock up. Arm drops on 10 inch records instead of twelve. These turntables are a little odd. I like mine so I keep it good luck.
 
Back
Top Bottom