Chriswashere
Active Member
Hello, I'm trying to figure out what to do regarding the motor in my Gates cb-77, which I kinda broke severely. I was talking to someone about how he pulled the ashland motors apart, and he said "Hold the upper housing in the vise with the leather belt on it so it doesn't get marred then take the end of the leather belt and cover the capstan and smack the end of the armature just a little harder than you really want to and hopefully one smack will unseat the housing and from there you can work it apart by hand... Remember if it smacks and comes free be ready to catch it in case it falls apart.. Probably won't, but be ready" (quoted from our text conversation).
So I did that, but I first held the motor in my hand by the top housing and just experimentally gave it a few small taps. Of course, knowing my luck, the bottom of the motor now has a hole in it. At least the reason for it overheating was found, which was the bearing being worn flat on one side. I explained this to my friend and we believe that the original over-heating of the motor caused the metal to become compromised and weak.
Anyways, lets say I actually get this destroyed bottom cover off. Is there a place to purchase just a new bottom and bearing, or is a whole new motor needed? I can't find another motor, but there really isn't a rush.
Also, how can i prevent this from happening with another motor?
So I did that, but I first held the motor in my hand by the top housing and just experimentally gave it a few small taps. Of course, knowing my luck, the bottom of the motor now has a hole in it. At least the reason for it overheating was found, which was the bearing being worn flat on one side. I explained this to my friend and we believe that the original over-heating of the motor caused the metal to become compromised and weak.
Anyways, lets say I actually get this destroyed bottom cover off. Is there a place to purchase just a new bottom and bearing, or is a whole new motor needed? I can't find another motor, but there really isn't a rush.
Also, how can i prevent this from happening with another motor?