• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Gear identification needed...

RunOutGroove

Addicted Member
A friend of a friend knows that I'm into audio and was volunteering to clean out a neighbor's house (who unfortunately is elderly and needed to move to senior care) and came across some audio gear that she sent pics to see what it might be worth. Most of the photos were of stuff that looked to have little or no value: cheap transistor radios (and not cool old vintage ones either), really ordinary looking old CD and DVD players, junky looking speakers, etc. I pulled out only the stuff that looks like it has any value. On some of the stuff the model numbers can clearly be seen, some not. On the stuff that I could identify, I looked up info online but that was kind of inconclusive. Seems like the Kenwood, the Toshiba stack and the Realistic turntable, are pretty nice items, though that Kenwood does have that unfortunate ding on the faceplate.

This is my first crack at using images on this site... Hope it works.

System_2._Tuner_Amp.jpg


System_2._Deck.jpg


System_1._Denon_(2_of_2).jpg


Realistic_Turntable.jpg


Kenwood_Amp.jpg

Amp_or_Speaker_Pair_(need_brand).jpg

 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
My leanings are towards the Toshiba SC335 & SY335 power/pre combo and the tuner as being the components most worth having. That particular Realistic TT does not spin my crank, it's below even my standards. And neither does that particular Kenwood integrated or any Denon AVR.

Speakers are powered Advents. Was not intersted in powered speakers at all when they were new on the market but Advents are great speakers. Self powered ones now would be very interesting for me to play around with for a while and I'd enjoy refurbishing them. They are scarce.
 
Just drag and drop images so that the bucket crap doesn't impede the use of the photo.
 
Just drag and drop images so that the bucket crap doesn't impede the use of the photo.
Not sure what you mean... I can't just drag and drop images straight to the field here in the forum, can I? I thought that the whole thing with this system is that it requires this whole photo hosting thing? It would be nice to be able to post photos in a way so that the damn photo hosting logo doesn't appear all over them though.

I followed the instructions on the site here (there's a pinned thread about it, but I was too lazy to read all seven pages of the finer points so I mostly just kind of figured it out on my own. I've been on a number of internet forums over the years and this is the only one so far that requires that whole hosting thing to post photos... or does it?
 
My leanings are towards the Toshiba SC335 & SY335 power/pre combo and the tuner as being the components most worth having. That particular Realistic TT does not spin my crank, it's below even my standards. And neither does that particular Kenwood integrated or any Denon AVR.

Speakers are powered Advents. Was not intersted in powered speakers at all when they were new on the market but Advents are great speakers. Self powered ones now would be very interesting for me to play around with for a while and I'd enjoy refurbishing them. They are scarce.

Those Toshiba components also have a marching tuner (which I think is cool, I still listen to terrestrial radio!) and cassette deck. I guess that there are a certain group of folks who are still using cassettes though I don't personally know any, but it might have some worth (though I doubt much). Tape decks with all of those moving parts seem to be the least likely to be in ace condition. I guess that I'd think of the tape deck as a sort of freebie but just for the other three, what would you think that they'd be worth?
 
Value questions should be in dollars & sense.

Yes, you can just drag and drop photo's here directly. Just click on the "Upload a File" button and take 'em directly from your phone or computer.
 
Like...? OK, I see that this is the way to do it with thumbnails. I guess if you want to post a full sized thing you have to use that damn hosting method.
 

Attachments

  • Amp-or-Speaker-Pair--(need-brand).jpg
    Amp-or-Speaker-Pair--(need-brand).jpg
    105 KB · Views: 41
  • Kenwood Amp.jpg
    Kenwood Amp.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 39
  • Realistic Turntable.jpg
    Realistic Turntable.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 39
  • System 1. Denon (2 of 2).jpg
    System 1. Denon (2 of 2).jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 37
  • System 2. Deck.jpg
    System 2. Deck.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 35
  • System 2. Tuner, Amp.jpg
    System 2. Tuner, Amp.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 40
Like...? OK, I see that this is the way to do it with thumbnails. I guess if you want to post a full sized thing you have to use that damn hosting method.

No no, once you upload your file, it asks you if you want it to be a thumbnail or full size. How do you think we do this?
100_1955.JPG
 
No no, once you upload your file, it asks you if you want it to be a thumbnail or full size. How do you think we do this?
View attachment 1912502
OK... this all makes sense to me now. Sorry for being kind of dense. I initially assumed that I could have used the "image" button on the top menu thing to simply drop in a photo from my computer. Not being able to do that, I looked at the thread for posting photos and found all of the info about using a photo hosting site.Not noticing anything else on that thread about other, simpler ways to post photos, I assumed that the photo hosting thing was a necessary step... Apparently there are many ways to perform cat skinning...
 
No need to upload, you can drag a file directly from your desktop or Windows Explorer (or, presumably, File Manager on a Mac) into the edit box. Or you can even right-click on a picture on a website, choose "copy image", then paste it directly into the edit box using Control-V or right-click->paste.
 
Ya, the Toshiba's would be the best of the bunch. Although the LAB 440 isn't as popular as the LAB 400 or the LAB 300, it's still a nice TT if the functions all work. Most of the Realistic direct drive TT's were made by C.E.C. I bought a LAB 400 for my son with the original RS branded AT91 cartridge.
It has been working flawlessly for him. And it sounds very good and well built.
 
Those Toshiba components also have a marching tuner (which I think is cool, I still listen to terrestrial radio!) and cassette deck. I guess that there are a certain group of folks who are still using cassettes though I don't personally know any, but it might have some worth (though I doubt much). Tape decks with all of those moving parts seem to be the least likely to be in ace condition. I guess that I'd think of the tape deck as a sort of freebie but just for the other three, what would you think that they'd be worth?

The pricing question is verbotten outside of $'s & cents. But value is not much.

That series of Toshiba slash Aurex components was never that popular. My understanding is that a good number of them were obtained by those who were in the HiFi trade even though retail price was near or below what dealer cost should have been.

I had been looking for one of the power amps for a couple of years before finding one which cost me $35 CAD and needed some money spent. One of the meters was dead so I got a new pair from the UK. While I was inside, I replaced all the elctrolytic capacitors but learned in the process, the PS caps were fine. They looked to have bulging tops but it was a mis-shapen plastic disc on the tops which had bowed out. I mistook that for the top of the cans themselves.

Not long after, I encounterd more of them and their pre-amps. One instance, was at an audio swap meet where a fellow had just bought the power/pre/tuner for $40 but all he wanted was the tuner. He in turn sold me the power/pre for $30. In total I wound up with two Toshiba branded power/pre's and one Aurex combo.

Since it was an easy job, the other power amps got new electrolytics (except the PS filters) and new bias pots. The pre-amps got the same treatment plus metal film resistors and a new op-amp w/socket in the phono section. I did that work not with the expectation to make money selling them, but just because.

If you end up with them plus tuner and cassette deck. I would keep them together as a set. Unfortunately they do not command a big price so flipping them would be unprofitable. Myself, I am just going to hang on to mine. Sooner or later, something will become of them. They are too nice to just "give away".

Kind of wish I'd scored that tuner though, it's supposed to be a fairly good one. But if nothing else, the power/pre pair is pretty versatile and to a degree, well featured.
 
The pricing question is verbotten outside of $'s & cents. But value is not much.

That series of Toshiba slash Aurex components was never that popular. My understanding is that a good number of them were obtained by those who were in the HiFi trade even though retail price was near or below what dealer cost should have been.

I had been looking for one of the power amps for a couple of years before finding one which cost me $35 CAD and needed some money spent. One of the meters was dead so I got a new pair from the UK. While I was inside, I replaced all the elctrolytic capacitors but learned in the process, the PS caps were fine. They looked to have bulging tops but it was a mis-shapen plastic disc on the tops which had bowed out. I mistook that for the top of the cans themselves.

Not long after, I encounterd more of them and their pre-amps. One instance, was at an audio swap meet where a fellow had just bought the power/pre/tuner for $40 but all he wanted was the tuner. He in turn sold me the power/pre for $30. In total I wound up with two Toshiba branded power/pre's and one Aurex combo.

Since it was an easy job, the other power amps got new electrolytics (except the PS filters) and new bias pots. The pre-amps got the same treatment plus metal film resistors and a new op-amp w/socket in the phono section. I did that work not with the expectation to make money selling them, but just because.

If you end up with them plus tuner and cassette deck. I would keep them together as a set. Unfortunately they do not command a big price so flipping them would be unprofitable. Myself, I am just going to hang on to mine. Sooner or later, something will become of them. They are too nice to just "give away".

Kind of wish I'd scored that tuner though, it's supposed to be a fairly good one. But if nothing else, the power/pre pair is pretty versatile and to a degree, well featured.
They do look pretty cool though no one seems to have ay interest in holding onto those things, even me and I'm sure that I could talk someone into selling me them for cheap. I'm a "one system" kind of guy and I have no room to set up another system, let alone the desire to stockpile gear that I'm not using... so I'm going to pass on all of it. Now, if there was a really nice sub or a high wattage power amp, then I might have to make a deal...
 
Is that the top of the junky speaker in the last photo...a Powered Advent? Those will replace any high powered amp and blow you out of the room. They have sound power built in.

Getting the hang of drag and drop. I usually make a photo 1200 x whatever...smaller and then either leave the thumbnails at the end of a post and folks can scroll through them or put them full size is a thread as they are discussed.

Let's see that junky speaker pic again. The power advent is worth some coin if it works. Drivers are available on the bay for the tweets or woofs if damaged. Woofers can be refoamed, too.
 
Toshiba preamp 70-100, phono stage is pretty nice
Toshiba power amp 80-150, closer to the lower end but if mint with good pictures someone will pay 120+
Tuner and tape? Bin them
Realistic turntable - easy 100 all day long if working with a good cart, local sale only no postage.
Not sure about the Advents but they do have their fans, i'd guess 100 at the absolute minimum, probably a fair bit more.
Kenwood, 120 all day long if working even with the dented faceplate.

I sell this stuff for a living.
 
Also don't pass over bpc without checking model no's, most people on here would think a Philips CD960 is garbage, check what they sell for.
 
Those Toshiba components also have a marching tuner (which I think is cool, I still listen to terrestrial radio!) and cassette deck. I guess that there are a certain group of folks who are still using cassettes though I don't personally know any, but it might have some worth (though I doubt much). Tape decks with all of those moving parts seem to be the least likely to be in ace condition. I guess that I'd think of the tape deck as a sort of freebie but just for the other three, what would you think that they'd be worth?

The Toshiba gear looks good. I'd probably pass on the rest even if I had free space sufficient to accommodate it.
 
Back
Top Bottom