• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Getting A Pile Of These Ortofon MC0000 Series Of Cartridges

Mister Pig

Pigamus Maximus
Just paid for this one, its coming from the UK. Recently refurbished by Ortofon in 2020, was originally bought from their Treasure Trove page. The MC5000 is the same generator as the MC3000 but with a sapphire cantilever and diamond. This one look like Ortofon may have used ruby.

mc5000.jpg

Sellers confirms that the flash and close image accentuates dust. The body is in perfect shape, and has well under 100 hours of use.

I have the MC3000 MK II and enjoy it as my casual cartridge. This should be a bit more detailed, and I do believe I will enjoy it as my casual cartridge when its time for the MC3000 II to head off for a new diamond.

I am finding these MC0000 cartridges are offering a great value if you find a suitable candidate for rebuild. I absolutely adore the MC2000 I have. There is a MC7500 that some think is the best of the bunch, but they are difficult to locate and quite pricey due to collector value. There is one on Ebay now, but its priced so high that there are alternative modern cartridges like Audio Tekne that would be piquing my curiosity.
 
Register to hide this ad
Not one of the used ones for sale describe how many hours are on them. I just can't find myself buying used carts with no idea how many hours are on them.

I would rather buy one for a couple hundred with a broken tip and take my chances with a re-tipper getting it right than paying such a high price foe used ones with a claim "it is sharp".

I don't mind buying used audio gear, but when it comes to carts I prefer new from the factory.

You Sr. are very brave.
 
Not one of the used ones for sale describe how many hours are on them. I just can't find myself buying used carts with no idea how many hours are on them.

I would rather buy one for a couple hundred with a broken tip and take my chances with a re-tipper getting it right than paying such a high price foe used ones with a claim "it is sharp".

I don't mind buying used audio gear, but when it comes to carts I prefer new from the factory.

You Sr. are very brave.

Here is the ad.

Ortofon MC 5000 purchased direct from Ortofon “Treasure Trove” in 2020 (see photo spec sheet). Well under 100 hours use. Lovely warm sonics. PayPal welcome but Buyer to cover fees.

Has a receipt from Ortofon on a purchase date of 7/7/2020. I was actually going to buy this last year, but having Mom fall during that heat wave last year and transitioning her to assisted living took priority. Alistair listed it again, I was fortunate enough to see it, and I think its a safe purchase. I buy used carts with the idea that I am going to have to retip right away, and make sure the price reflects that kind of wiggle room. Now this one cost me £770 shipped. Which to me is a reasonable price given its a Treasure Trove cartridge.
 
I was checking out the MC 7500's, that you talked about, a couple of them actually. here is the description,

Operation confirmed.
The appearance is a beautiful product without any noticeable scratches.
For other appearances, please refer to the photo.

Don't get me wrong I am sure some great finds can be had, just that it might be risky.
 
I was checking out the MC 7500's, that you talked about, a couple of them actually. here is the description,

Operation confirmed.
The appearance is a beautiful product without any noticeable scratches.
For other appearances, please refer to the photo.

Don't get me wrong I am sure some great finds can be had, just that it might be risky.

Oh yeah I don't touch those with unknown hours and stratospheric price. Too big of a risk for me.
 
Back
Top Bottom