• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Getting lucky at the Flea Market

sanford12

Old Stuff New Stuff As long as it's Good Stuff
Subscriber
Had been contemplating getting a larger cast-iron skillet to go with the small one I have. Passed one going to another booth and was going to look at it next. When I went back there were 2 ladies looking at it. Thought your to late. The lady that ran the stall said it was 15 bucks. After a minute they set the pan down and moved along. Wasn't looking for vintage just something to use. Told her I'd give her the 15. She told me it was a 3 slot Lodge. Like I knew what that was. She turned it over and said I got lucky, it was a 1 slot Lodge like that was something special. Took a look at the pan and had never seen a cast-iron pan that was anywhere near as smooth as this was. It was nicely seasoned and someone had taken really good care of it. Cooked some bacon in it the next day. There was no learning curve it did great. Looked it up and it's from the the 30s to the 40s and a sought after pan and the great condition means it's a 100 dollar pan. Actually feel a little guilty. If the flea market was closer I'd go back and give her more for it.

Thinking it's biscuits and gravy next.
 
Register to hide this ad
I really can't stand the frying pans produced by Lodge these days- total crap, cast with sand so coarse the bottom of the pan is like gravel. No chance of ever cooking eggs in that unless they are floating in a pool of oil. Whoever makes Lodge these days could take 30 seconds and machine the bottom of the pan smooth, but hey- stupid people, they don't know, and they will buy them anyway- probably just to burn up over a campfire then donate them- That's how I usually find them. I have a couple of early Wagners that I hold on to with a kung-fu grip! Corn bread is one of many guilty pleasures. Nice score, enjoy!
 
Back
Top Bottom