• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

GF TubeDAC-11 Hookup Question.

GeoKost

Well-Known Member
GF TubeDAC-11 Hookup Question. Update.

I just received my TubeDAC-11. I will be running it into my Sansui AU999. Question is, use the TubeDAC-11 as a pre-amp and run it into my MAIN INPUT jacks by removing the pre jumper, or leave the jumper in and run it into my AUX jack.

Or, try it each way to see what sounds best? Is there an advantage or disadvantage of doing it either way?

Edit: I will be using the "Tube Out".

I also have a NOS Amperex 6DJ8 Bugle Boy, grey plate halo, O getter, Holland tube ordered, and also I have a NOS Zaerix 7DJ8 tube ordered. Both from E-Bay, so I hope they turn out good.

Your input or comments are welcome.

Thank you,

George.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Hi George,

Try it both ways is always best (and let us all know which way you liked it), just remember when using the TubeDAC-11 as a pre-amp to turn on the TubeDAC-11 first for a minute or two before turning on the Sansui and reverse that when shutting down, just like most pre-amp/amp combos to avoid the uglies.

By using the TubeDAC-11 as the pre-amp you will lose all the front panel features of the Sansui, but might get a big improvement in sonics, especially if the Sansui capacitors are more than 15 years old.

Hope that helps,
Ian
 
Hi George,

Try it both ways is always best (and let us all know which way you liked it), just remember when using the TubeDAC-11 as a pre-amp to turn on the TubeDAC-11 first for a minute or two before turning on the Sansui and reverse that when shutting down, just like most pre-amp/amp combos to avoid the uglies.

By using the TubeDAC-11 as the pre-amp you will lose all the front panel features of the Sansui, but might get a big improvement in sonics, especially if the Sansui capacitors are more than 15 years old.

Hope that helps,
Ian

Hello Ian,

Yes, this helps a lot. Thank you for the sequence of operation there. I also just found the FAQ on your website that also answered some other questions I had. I can tell that the TubeDAC-11 is really versatile for many scenarios.

I just got through recapping and retransistorizing my amp, so that should be good also.

Thank you very much for your input. I will report back with my results, hopefully later today. Also waiting on my other tubes to come in. :banana:

George.
 
Update.

I've got almost 10 hours on the 6N11 now. I have tried many hookups playing around.

So far, I have to say, that running it as a preamp and running into the amp and using the optical input from the computer gives me the nicest, most forward soundstage. You can really hear what the tube has to offer like this. With my setup, it lakes on the lower end, but very good in the mid and highs.

Running it as a preamp, but using USB still sounds good, but the soundstage is not as far forward as through the optical.

I've listened from my MacBook Pro with Audirvana, Nikko Tuner into one input, and my TV to the other input listening to XM radio on Dish, and a little football.

Man, this TubDAC-11 is so versatile. :thmbsp:

Still playing, lots of fun! :D
 
Back
Top Bottom