• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Ghost? Who believes in them....

Quote from Fotno "There is no profit in being thought strange, or odd."
If this were true, there would be no need for the word "hoax". :)

Many people like and want to be spooked. Has anyone ever been camping when there wasn't a spooky moment during the night? Let's tell some ghost stories around the campfire.

On my camping exploits I've never seen Sasquatch, but many report their encounters.
 
Last edited:
I'd agree that there's more than a few "tall tales" told around campfires, but in saying "there's no profit", I wasn't talking about a campfire chat for laughs and scares, or someone making a scene for dollars or notoriety.

For example: I saw a UFO once. I mean that in the strictest sense of the term. I saw an unidentified flying object 20 years ago, while viewing Jupiter through an 8" telescope with some friends. We all saw a V shaped grouping of lights (none of them blinking) fly from horizon to horizon in the space of a few seconds, with no audible sound of its passing; neither before it came into view, during its passage, or after it got out of sight. It was not more than 10,000' off the hard deck, flying in a more or less straight line, and made its passage from horizon to horizon faster than many will read this paragraph.

To this day I have no idea what it was. However, my failure to be able to identify it, does not mean that I believe it was alien to this planet. Even if I did, it wouldn't mean that I hadn't seen what I saw. I'm simply relaying a true story of something that I saw in the night sky, that I could not explain. I am prepared to accept all of the stories in this thread in the same way; as true stories of experiences, that may or may not have logical explanations. As chilling as some of them may be, I do not believe they're being told solely to shock or frighten.
 
Last edited:
Indeed. I don't want to turn this into a religious or philosophical debate, but the Einstein quote you posted is virtually reversed in its original meaning through a combination of skillfully cutting it out of a longer paragraph and taking bold liberties in the translation. I am sure you posted the quote with the best of intentions, but I would treat the source of that quote with the utmost suspicion.

I believe it originally stems from Einstein's "Mein Weltbild", where he suggests that the attempt to 'penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature' has engendered religion. He identifies with the search for explanations and the admiration of beauty, but then immediately distances himself from any irrational approach. He finds strong words in this context, but enough said or else it will surely become a religious debate, which of course must be avoided in this forum.

I wasn't implying that there are phenomena that will never be explained, only that they can not be explained with our current knowledge. Guess I should have been more specific.
Time magazine is the source of the quote.
 
My Great Grandmother keeps haunting me in the form of a Dorito chip. I can't get through a bag without running across her. We called her the Colonel because she was tough as nails.

Here is one of the more obvious hauntings. Of my chips.



Hello Great Grandma!
 

Attachments

  • 20090421-IMG_0907.JPG
    20090421-IMG_0907.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 36
Thank you.

Every time I see her cherubic face staring back at me from a Dorito chip I am forced to choke back a tear. She wouldn't want me to cry at her passing. She was tough as nails.
 
with the notable exception of the insult to Hawking, I summarily agree with John VF, and fmueller (and Einstein)

I was (half) joking with my remark about Hawking. I glanced at his latest book and thought he had thoroughly jumped the shark. But I think that about anybody who tries to explain the universe by conveniently making up a million billion trillion more that aren't as perfect, just so the odds that we ended up with ours like it is work for them.
 
It was 80 something degrees out that night.....was not anyones breath. The second pic the angel looking figure is a good 20ft away from us. There was no fog that night either. I have already researched these points...

Did you take accurate temperature recordings or is this based off memory of what it felt like? What was the relative humidity, the dew point? I am sure that a meteorological explaination would make a lot more sense then "spirits." And there is no angel-like figure in the second picture, just an unintelligible blob of mist. What kind of cameras were used, what was the exposure speed, etc.? Why do you have to seek a paranormal explaination for what you experienced?
 
Did you take accurate temperature recordings or is this based off memory of what it felt like? What was the relative humidity, the dew point? I am sure that a meteorological explaination would make a lot more sense then "spirits." And there is no angel-like figure in the second picture, just an unintelligible blob of mist. What kind of cameras were used, what was the exposure speed, etc.? Why do you have to seek a paranormal explaination for what you experienced?

I'm betting you were never much fun around the campfire...
 
boo , ghosts rule , listen to Mogwai around 3 am by yourself , you will indeed see a ghost . I believe
 
Now we have some people who declare they 'don't believe in the laws of physics' and some that wildly quote Einstein. As a scientist, I can't help but comment, futile as it may be.

We are saying the same thing. I just don't like the word 'law'. It suggests an unbreakable rule or something permanent when taking within this subject. Yet, we put that label on subject that we don't truely understand.

That's neither here or there.

I do remember an incident which was strange. When I was a teenager, my friend and I were heavy into bird hunting. The hunting grounds were on Molokai Ranch, on the island of Molokai. Bird season was only on weekends,dawn to dusk and we spend every weekend and almost every available hour hunting.

Pheasants were a rarity (the most popular bird was a franklin, about grouse size), we would be lucky to see a pheasant a weekend. Most times nothing. One afternoon, we had just finished pushing/walking a field. We had walked the field in a loop pattern and was standing bsing around the truck which had been sitting there the whole walk.

For some reason, after 30 min. later, I picked up my gun and walked to the otherside where there was a small gulch about 30' away. I motioned my dog to search this little field. My friend started looking at me like I was crazy but accompanied me with his dog. I looked back as said, "There's a pheasant here." Molokai Ranch owns the westside of the island which we had access to, thousands of acres. But I hunted this little 30'x30' plot of land hard with two dogs.

When nothing came up, my friend started laughing but I insisted, "There's a pheasant here." After we covered it twice, we were about to give up when sure enough a hen flushed. He looked at me funny and he said,"Maybe there's a rooster with the hen." I said, "Nah, there was only that one." and walked back to the truck. He ended up looking for that non-existant rooster for another 1/2 hour but kicked nothing up.

I've never made such a prediction before.

The only other time something similar happened was when I was driving at night along the freeway. I drove from Seattle to Tacoma a few times a week back then. All of a sudden, my perspective changed. Not my sight but it was like watching a movie then the camera goes wide angle. I sat up straight and blurted, "There's a cop here!" It was a wierd feeling almost like getting a sudden rush of adrenaline only it affected my vision.

A few seconds later, I passed a cop in the medium checking everyone's speed and the strange feeling went away.
 
I'm as sceptical as the next guy and maybe more so in many cases. However, the older I get the more I believe that even though we have come a great distance, there are so many things we have yet to fully understand.

It's human nature and hubris that leads us to believe that we've got it all figured out. Just like the kid that reached their teens and fully believes they have all the answers and all that went before them are hopeless dopes, many educated science and logic minded adults act in the same way.

Human nature.

I think we (humans) are all just children with little knowledge providing explanations for what we don't understand when it comes to some of this stuff.


To answer the OP's question: I don't necessarily believe in "ghosts" but I don't at all discount the possibility.

How's that for riding the fence :D


RC
 
Back
Top Bottom