johnfalc
Well-Known Member
Pleased to be making progress on a Fisher 800C that was gifted to me in pretty sad shape. The Fisher 400 and 500C (same as the 800C but without an AM section) were our standard bench receivers when I was running service operations for Pacific Stereo in the 70s because they were so reliable.
I'm fixing the obvious defects first, then will move on to selective upgrades. On this unit the MPX had failed due to an open diode in one of the switching matrices, so I removed the MPX unit to make work easier and fabricated replacement matrices using the ubiquitous 1N4148s) after first fixing and calibrating the broken MPX generator that had been in my queue of projects.
Presto ... great separation and flat, low distortion output just as it should be.
Here are a few pictures for Fisher fans.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/2M2Jqk4ARwsTMiiY6
A fun project and one with great nostalgic memory triggers for me.
I'm fixing the obvious defects first, then will move on to selective upgrades. On this unit the MPX had failed due to an open diode in one of the switching matrices, so I removed the MPX unit to make work easier and fabricated replacement matrices using the ubiquitous 1N4148s) after first fixing and calibrating the broken MPX generator that had been in my queue of projects.
Presto ... great separation and flat, low distortion output just as it should be.
Here are a few pictures for Fisher fans.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/2M2Jqk4ARwsTMiiY6
A fun project and one with great nostalgic memory triggers for me.