• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Glass Platter (Mat or no Mat)?

classic carl

Without Music, Life Would B FLAT.
Subscriber
For those of you that have a glass platter on your turntable, do you use a mat or go bareback? For those that use a mat, do you use a simple felt mat or something else? I am considering a glass mat for my Music Hall and have a Herbie's mat on there now. I also have the stock felt mat stashed away.
 
Register to hide this ad
Glass rings and needs to be damped in some manner - I wouldn't think of running a glass platter without a mat. I've always prefered the felt mats on glass platters - ala Rega or my old MMF-5.
 
I have a 5.1 that came with the alloy platter and a felt mat.
This particular platter came with a MMF-5. It's being parted out because the motor died, the owner tried to change it out himself and apparently botched the job.
Thanks for the reply.
 
I had a Rega with a glass platter and felt mat. It was a good combo. I wouldn't run bare glass, nor would I damp it with a rubber mat either. I think the glass/wool/no clamp combo works really well.
 
Thanks Brett, I thouht that the glass/felt combo was the way to go. The glass platter should be here next week.
 
I too think the way to go is glass platter, felt mat and no clamp. I always thought the alloy platter on the mmf-5.1 was a bit of downgrade from the mmf-5, while all the other changes were upgrades.
 
The table came with a screw-on clamp. I have a mmf-5.1, and the glass platter came with the mmf-5, but I assume the 5 also came with the same clamp. That's why I was confused with the earlier replies. I plan on using the clamp, and I'll try it without. I'd be surprised if I hear any difference.
 
On my Pro-Ject 5.1 I only screw the clamp down till the platter starts to move or it will exaggerate any warps.
 
Back
Top Bottom