• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Glue

denniswilson

Well-Known Member
Does anyone know what type of glue is used to hold down the larger caps or the small transistor heatsinks to the circuit boards. I have a Yamaha
CA-610 II integrated where the factory glue is old and came undone and the little heatsink is loose and wiggily from the board. Thanks.
 
Register to hide this ad
Many overseas vendors used various forms of adhesive to keep larger parts from moving around during shipment with glue of some sort being popular.

These days I'd suggest that it is likely not needed unless there's a specific function for it outside of big-time shipping such as an auction sales or similar.

The less things you use around the circuit board the better, IMHO.

Cheers,

David
 
In Aerospace we use silicon RTV. The clear or grey stuff in a tube. It holds the item in place but also allows a little “wiggle room” for thermal expansion. Make sure it is rated for electronics use. The wrong stuff smells like vinegar, which is a mild acid and not the best to use on electronics, though some say it makes no real difference.
 
In Aerospace we use silicon RTV. The clear or grey stuff in a tube. It holds the item in place but also allows a little “wiggle room” for thermal expansion. Make sure it is rated for electronics use. The wrong stuff smells like vinegar, which is a mild acid and not the best to use on electronics, though some say it makes no real difference.

It will make a difference, it will eat the traces it's on away. :no:
 
OK...I searched some threads on here and found that some have said that the glue used at the factory was applied to hold things in place while soldering and that it really wouldnt be necessary at this point. I guess I'll just leave it alone. I imagine its been like that for it least 20 of its 30 year life. I was primarily concerned with a transistor mounted to a small heatsink that looked as though it could use the support of the glue as the glue became aged and undone...now the little heatsink is loose from the board and is supported soley by the 3 transistor leads ...If its no biga deal..I'll just leave it :scratch2:
 
It will make a difference, it will eat the traces it's on away. :no:

You know that and I know that. But as soon as I'd quote a Mil Spec, someone would chime in with " I've been using white bathtub calking for 20 years.." etc, etc ad nausium.
 
that glue turns dark and conductive. fixed a stack of rackmount yamaha amps at the planetarium that would go into protect because that glue was slathered all over some transistors.
 
I just fixed a Yamaha M-85 that failed due to old glue caused corrosion. Personally once I remove the old dried up crap.I do not use any glue to install new caps and such. Only reason it was used in the first place, was to secure the larger components to the boards during the wave solder process.
 
Back
Top Bottom