• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Going to check out a vintage AR XA turntable tomorrorow

Ottellii

New Member
Looking to buy a (what i believe is stock) AR XA turntable. Anything specific i should look out for? I know they are modded a lot and there are older and newer models. Would i be able to attach my Nagaoka mp 110 onto it without any mods?
 

Attachments

  • 148297157_3695524663837601_7282649638905248535_n.jpg
    148297157_3695524663837601_7282649638905248535_n.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 149290255_3695513370505397_7174963370325689358_n.jpg
    149290255_3695513370505397_7174963370325689358_n.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 44
Register to hide this ad
325 is a little high, but if it runs and the arm’s not messed up, it’s your money, not mine. It’ll take any 1/2” cart that can mount from the bottom.
 
325 is a little high, but if it runs and the arm’s not messed up, it’s your money, not mine. It’ll take any 1/2” cart that can mount from the bottom.
You guys think so? I was going to ask $250, is that still high? The seller says it works and has original dust cover.
 
You guys think so? I was going to ask $250, is that still high? The seller says it works and has original dust cover.
I’m still trying to acclimate myself to the market I’ve contributed to inflating. That’s actually a fair price for a clean, complete, and operational unit.

The original dust cover is an ugly thing. I use mine but I’d rather get a new acrylic one. Only like $125 on the auction site but they’re good looking.
 
I’m still trying to acclimate myself to the market I’ve contributed to inflating. That’s actually a fair price for a clean, complete, and operational unit.

The original dust cover is an ugly thing. I use mine but I’d rather get a new acrylic one. Only like $125 on the auction site but they’re good looking.
Ahh i guess in terms of value, i was wondering if going from a Pioneer pl-400 to the AR XA is a $250 upgrade. Or is the difference between the two not worth $2-300.
 
Ahh i guess in terms of value, i was wondering if going from a Pioneer pl-400 to the AR XA is a $250 upgrade. Or is the difference between the two not worth $2-300.

Even in stock form the "little table that could" will run circles around the Pioneer. Many magazine reviewers have quoted the AR XA as their first taste of the true high end.
 
Amazing. Will my Nagaoka Mp110 fit onto the tt?

can it mount from the bottom?

the AR headshell doesn't have any through holes. I know it's sacralidge but to install my Grado Platinum wood body I drilled holes through the AR headshell lol.

EDIT: Ok just looked at your cartridge, you're good to go.
 
can it mount from the bottom?

the AR headshell doesn't have any through holes. I know it's sacralidge but to install my Grado Platinum wood body I drilled holes through the AR headshell lol.

EDIT: Ok just looked at your cartridge, you're good to go.
ooh okay perfect. Do i need to screw holes? Will it fight right on? Or can i just switch headshells.
 
You don't need to make any holes, the headshell has threaded mounts for the cartridge. What is critical is the right thread pitch and bolt length.

You can't use just any headshell. The mounting system for it is specific to the AR XA and XB. It's also a bit fragile so you have to use care when changing hesdshells so you don't mess up the threads.
 
You don't need to make any holes, the headshell has threaded mounts for the cartridge. What is critical is the right thread pitch and bolt length.

You can't use just any headshell. The mounting system for it is specific to the AR XA and XB. It's also a bit fragile so you have to use care when changing hesdshells so you don't mess up the threads.
Thanks so much. Im very excited to pick it up.
 
ooh okay perfect. Do i need to screw holes? Will it fight right on? Or can i just switch headshells.

it's headshell is proprietary but your cartridge will work just fine, but you will need the "right length" screws to work. I suggest ordering an assortment of cartridge mounting screws on eBay.

like this
Screenshot_20210419-224700.png
 
Back
Top Bottom