• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Golden Tube Audio SEP-1 balance question

bre's dad

I drank what?!?
As posted before, I'm test driving a GTA SEP-1 SE preamp. It is lucky enough to have a balance knob, but it seems absolutely useless. There is a jumper inside to bypass it but regardless of how its set, it does nothing. The owner said that it won't have much effect. I've known the guy for awhile and normally trust him, but thiat doesn't sound right. He's had a few of these and said that all of the ones hes had are like this. Anyone know the truth?
 
Register to hide this ad
Actually a few new reviews I've dug out have people griping about the balance, so I guess its how it should be. Why bother putting one on if it doesn't work?? :thumbsdn:
 
a friend of mine has one of those, also 'SE', which apparently means bypassed balance control according to him. His also does nothing, or very little. Every one I have seen online or not *has* the knob...but I've never heard a regular (not SE) one to be able to say if that balance actually does anything different between the two.
 
By default, the balance is disabled on the circuit board via jumpers. You can switch the jumpers to enable the balance, but it's not a traditional balance that shifts all the volume to the left or the right. It's a balance for the center of the stereo image. Adjusting the balance (when enabled) shifts the voice in the music subtlety to the left or right. I'd prefer a traditional balance control, but this type of balance may be useful for challenging room sonics.
 
Back
Top Bottom