• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Good bookshelf speakers for a MC240 tube amp???

Exit 37

New Member
I have recently inherited a McIntosh 240 tube power amp and C20 tube preamp - both are in the shop now being tuned up. So now I'm looking for a pair of bookshelf-sized speakers that will match up well with the Macs. The system will be in a small carpeted room (~10'x10') with about 7 feet between the speakers. I'd like to avoid using a sub. Listening primarily to rock and jazz (new & old) - on vinyl and cds. The MC240 is rated at 40 watts per side.

My budget is $650 max.

I'm leaning towards a pair of B&W 685's since I've seen plenty of good reviews on them, but not sure if they would be happy with tube power. I don't imagine that I'll have an opportunity to audition the speakers with my amp, so I'll be going on reviews that I read, and suggestions from folks on these boards.

I really appreciate your input!
 
Register to hide this ad
Back
Top Bottom