• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Good Cartridge for a Luxman PD277 ?

My came from a friend who had installed the Audio Technica AT 30E cartridge ( lomc ) on it. :)

The stylus is rated at 8.5 x 10-6 (on the Japanese scale).

Hey Balifly,
What do you think of the AT-30E cartridge? I got one with a turntable. The cartridge was paired with a headshell and a SUT. Under 100x magnification the stylus looks mint.
Thx
 
I have an AT-30E that I run on an SL-1200M3D along with the matching AT-630 step transformer. It sounds very similar to my AT-OC9ML/II which is excellent. The treble is not quite as well defined on busy passages, but overall it is a fine sounding cartridge (YMMV).
 
Hey Balifly,
What do you think of the AT-30E cartridge? I got one with a turntable. The cartridge was paired with a headshell and a SUT. Under 100x magnification the stylus looks mint.
Thx

* * * * * *


The treble is not quite as well defined on busy passages, but overall it is a fine sounding cartridge (YMMV).

One of my favorite old timer, well chosen by its previous owner.

I also use an Audio Technica ATN35 E stylus that lini recommended, better high for sure. :thumbsup:
http://www.lpgear.com/product/ATSAT0035E.html

If you want the Denon DL-103 sound, find the Audio Technica ATN 30 0.6 mil conical for it.

Check Ebay for the Astatic NMR series AT126-6d stylus.

( Apologies to the OP for the tangent posts.) :D
 
Balifly, that ATN35E fits the AT30 body? One of my 30s just dropped a coil so needs a new stylus. Would you consider it better than the stock stylus?
 
Dug a little deeper and it seems the 35E is an evolution of the 3100E and the stylus will work on that cartridge but is a different configuration than the 30e/31e so won't fit the body and may or may not be electrically compatible. Too bad.......
 
do a slow a/b. Use one for a couple weeks, take a few notes, swap enjoy the other one and see if you prefer one to the other. Easy way to decide. If no winner, you are happy with both, sit back...enjoy
 
I think the AT150MLX in my SL-1200 with stock arm is wonderfully balanced. There's no lacking in the bass department that I can tell and I'm a bass guy and I play the bass, so I love bass. I'm all about the bass.

My new AT150MLX finally showed up today!!! Now I just need my TT back from its tuneup so I can give a listen!! Thanks for the advice. That eBay seller was quick.
 
A year old thread, but have some of the same questions. Kinda looking for some available options in cartridges.
I saw a suggestion of an AT-440Mlb. Any thoughts on this cart for this Luxman?
I was thinking an AT-150sa as well, but it looks as though they have discontinued this cart as well as the AT-150mlx and at the Audio Technica site suggest the VM750SH, which seems to have a pretty high tracking force weight, but has the same compliance figures as the At150sa.
 
A year old thread, but have some of the same questions. Kinda looking for some available options in cartridges.
I saw a suggestion of an AT-440Mlb. Any thoughts on this cart for this Luxman?
I was thinking an AT-150sa as well, but it looks as though they have discontinued this cart as well as the AT-150mlx and at the Audio Technica site suggest the VM750SH, which seems to have a pretty high tracking force weight, but has the same compliance figures as the At150sa.

The primary candidate - AT150 MLX , next AT-440 MLb. :thumbsup:

Get the best within your budget.

Happy listening! :music:
 
The primary candidate - AT150 MLX , next AT-440 MLb. :thumbsup:

Get the best within your budget.

Happy listening! :music:

Thanks.
I just scored the Lux PD 277 from epay, probably paid a little over the top, but since it has the original boxes, that to me ads some to the value.
It has an AT Precept 220XE cart on it that is in working condition according to the seller. Would this be a decent cart for it as well? I already have an AT440Mlb that I could pull from my Denon if need be. I really can't find a lot on the 220XE although I see there are stylus replacements at Turntableneedles and LPGear.
I am listening to my JVC QL-Y66F right now with a Denon DLP110, and it sounds great to my ears. I really didn't need the Lux, but thought it would be a nice addition sitting next to my Lux R-1050, along with the Lux D405 CD player.
 
The primary candidate - AT150 MLX , next AT-440 MLb. :thumbsup:

Get the best within your budget.

Happy listening! :music:


Let me ask this. The Precept cartridges are essentially the same body as the AT12S(?), would an ATN12S (https://www.turntableneedles.com/AT...-for-AT12S-etc--our-Needle-201-DQX_p_920.html) Shibata stylus work in the Precept 220XE cartridge as a stop gap until I could afford a better cart, or would it be essentially the same as the 440Mlb that I already have?
So many different ways to go, and I will need to be a little thrifty until the TT buy has settled in with the better half.
Thanks
 
Let me ask this. The Precept cartridges are essentially the same body as the AT12S(?), would an ATN12S (https://www.turntableneedles.com/AT...-for-AT12S-etc--our-Needle-201-DQX_p_920.html) Shibata stylus work in the Precept 220XE cartridge as a stop gap until I could afford a better cart, or would it be essentially the same as the 440Mlb that I already have?
So many different ways to go, and I will need to be a little thrifty until the TT buy has settled in with the better half.
Thanks

LPgear has a replacement listed for the AT Precept 220XE cartridge :

" nude square shank special elliptical diamond with a .0002 x .0007 inch scanning radii. It is mounted on a tapered alloy tube cantilever " - $75.00.

https://www.lpgear.com/product/PCN220.html

There may be other alternative such as the ATN12S for $159.00, don't know if it would fit.
https://www.turntableneedles.com/AT...-for-AT12S-etc--our-Needle-201-DQX_p_920.html

Have not look into it. :dunno:
 
Back
Top Bottom