• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Good Cartridge for Pioneer PL-115D and PL-15D II?

sacflies

Active Member
Thought I'd try and run this by some of the knowledgeable folks on here to get some informed opinions. I recently picked up 2 turntables off craigs. A Pioneer PL-115D and a Pioneer PL-15D II. The 15D II has the original cart and stylus on it. Got it for $10 because it wasn't functioning. The problem has been fixed and it is working now. Need to replace the belt too as it is also the original. Obviously I need a new cartridge and stylus. Was looking at the Audio Technica AT95e and Shure M97xE. Leaning towards the AT95e as I am reading that the Shure has had some QC issues of late and is a bit more difficult to set up and get it up to speed. Plus the Shure is about $27 more than the AT. I suppose the AT95e would also do fine for the PL-115D as well. The 115D currently has a AT2211EH cart and ATS-11E stylus on it. Would I get a nice improvement if I stepped up to the AT95e on this as well?

I am running the 115D thru a Yamaha CR-620 out to DCM CX-27 speakers, and am planning on running the 15D II thru a TC-750LC Phono Preamp (picked up on craigs for $30 today) to my Yamaha RX-V671 receiver (no phono input of course) out to my DCM TF600's.

I am new to the turntable arena and would appreciate any help. Any other carts I should look at for these tables? Thanks in advance.
 
Register to hide this ad
I suppose the AT95e would also do fine for the PL-115D as well. The 115D currently has a AT2211EH cart and ATS-11E stylus on it. Would I get a nice improvement if I stepped up to the AT95e on this as well?

What kind of improvement are you looking for?

What is it that you find lacking with the ATS-11E stylus on the AT2211EH cartridge?

What would be an approximate budget - (how far can we push it) ? :D :scratch2:
 
Good question. Really don't know. Just looking for opinions from others much more in the know than I am. I have noticed that the ATS-11E/AT2211EH combo seems to have trouble with less than stellar LP's, but I suppose they all have difficulty with that to a degree. The AT95e is currently about $40 on Amazon so I guess I will pick that up and try it on my 15D II.
 
I used to have a Pioneer PL-112D. I bought an Ortofon OM 10 Super. The cartridge's sound was very clear and crisp - almost too forward for some.

http://www.needledoctor.com/s.nl/it.A/id.274/.f?sc=2&category=378

The cartridge has a very nice feature - you can upgrade the stylus to various levels without changing the cart. If you search for the cartridge on AK you can find some tips on getting a super high quality stylus for small dollars.

There is another Ortofon cart with a similar appearance that shows up on new turntables - the OM 5E. While it looks the same, I do not think it will accept the higher level styli.
 
Well, over thinking this I guess. I have two BOTL 35/40 year old TT's and I will only be a casual listener after being out of playing records since the 80's. So I'll just grab the AT95e and throw it on the 15D II and leave what's on the 115D as is. I don't need to spend $100 plus on a cartridge for casual listening. The AT95e should be more than good enough for my purposes.
 
Back
Top Bottom