• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Good Home Studio Reel to Reel Tape Recorder

cshaydude

Digital? Nah thanks
I'm looking for a Reel to Reel for my home music studio. I'm looking for most likely an 8 track Reel to Reel. I'm also looking for a good mixing console, 8-16 input, to go with the Reel to Reel.
Right now I'm looking at a Fostex E-8 Reel to Reel and a TOA RX-208 Mixing Console. How well would those work together and what else would I need?
Obviously, my knowledge of this stuff is very very slim. Thanks for any help you can offer.
 
Register to hide this ad
I had good luck with a Teac 3340S and an older Tascam mixer. Sure it's old school but then again, so am I. I also had some luck with the Roland VM 3100 digital mixer.
Not sure how well the Fostex and TOA would work together but am sure that someone will let you know.
Good luck and have fun.
 
Fostex is not a very durable brand. Is a Otari out of your price range? They made a very nice 8 channel recorder on 1/2" tape.

The Fostex is 8 channels on 1/4" tape. Seems like I saw one of these a month or 2 ago for 125.00.
 
Tascam had an 8-track (on 1/4" tape). I don't know why you want to go with a reel to reel on this. Tascam has many Portastudios that can record digitally and they have built in mixers.

Here is a 24 track machine: http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-TAS-DP24-LIST

TAS%20DP24.jpg


Just a suggestion.......
 
But that's not fun. Reel to reel tape players are! And that's what the OP is asking for! No boring CD recorders...
 
It might not be as fun, rewinding the tape and doing another take, about the 50th time. I've had a home studio (computer based MIDI, hard disc recording (Cakewalk)), and can't imagine doing what I was doing with a RTR. There are no tapes anymore, and the semi-pro decks can't handle the rugged use, especially because all of the decks are already more then 2 decades old, and could die at any moment.

If you are serious about home recording, I do suggest the Tascam portastudio over the RTR. You will be much happier in the end.

Just some advice from someone that has been there.........
 
Last edited:
We used a TEAC 80-8 in the basement studio for years and it always did a fantastic job. The 1/2" tape it used was very expensive then however and is probably much more so now (if you can even get it) plus you'll burn through it pretty fast. You could do everything digitally and then do your final mix on a decent full two track 1/4" 15 ips machine to get that analog tape sound.
 
If you want to do actual recording, get digital workstation. You will need ProTools anyway for mixing and mastering job, unless you only do live performance recording. If you like, you can always drop final master on tape. You can even use tape recorder in FX loop (some people like tape distortions). But tape machine for mixing is PITA.
 
Fostex machines are among the worst machines ever made. Reliability not very good, cheaply built. Technicians hate their sight. Parts support non existent. Stick to their speaker drivers.
 
I didn't know RMGI and ATR went out of business today? :scratch2:

My bad. Didn't think there was enough demand for anyone to start/continue manufacturing tape for such a small market. There is still some NOS here and there.

I wonder how many units they sell?
 
Go to TapeHeads.net sign up and become a member, then ask your question in the RTR thread. Tape and machines are alive and well!
 
Tascam 48 is a good compromise between high quality, availability, serviceability, and ease of use.

Also the Otari 8 track (model number unknown) was a good unit.

For a stereo mixdown deck you can't go wrong with an Otari MX-5050 or MX-55.

I really like my MCI JH-110C but that's huge :D
 
TASCAM 48 or the 58 with the Omega-drive (very gentle tape handling) are both great machines and overkill for a home studio without being leviathan-sized!

Sourcing 1/2" tape is no problem. It is still available brand-new, NOS, and used. I have a stack of 1/2" tape I purchased mostly used off ebay. Run through a flatbed bulk eraser, it is as new.
 
My advice would be to spend your money on a PC-based system with some proper converters, maybe a mixer and then a quarter inch two track 15 IPS deck for mastering; You'll grow tired of making multiple takes on tape, the prices of regular service and how new heads are made of unobtanium.

There are a lot awesome stereo decks for mastering, some of the most used in home studios are Otari MX5050, Revox B77HS (or PR99 which is the radio station favourite), Revox C270-series (quite rare but exquisite), Studer B67 (based on Revox A700), Tascam 42 and 52, Lyrec made some amazing decks but be aware of parts availability.
 
Back
Top Bottom