• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

good quality, loud, vintage speakers for 2x Kenwood systems

afelgate

New Member
good quality, loud, vintage speakers for 2x Kenwood systems?

I'm looking for advice on speakers for two Kenwood systems recently put together from eBay & Craigslist:

Kenwood KA-8100 integrated amp
Kenwood KT-7300 tuner

Kenwood KA-5500 integrated amp
Kenwood KT-5500 tuner

Both systems are (supposedly) in good clean condition. The 1st is for me, the 2nd for my brother in law to celebrate their new baby. I figured the gift of vintage audio would be appreciated!

What good quality, loud, vintage speakers - not too expensive, and in keeping with the style of the Kenwood systems - would folks recommend?

Thank you in advance for all feedback :)
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Thnx. Any particular Advents? Or particularly nice looking (& sounding!) models to go with my shiny Kenwood equipment?
 
That is the model. Original Large Advent.

Some other vintage east-coast speakers to go for:

• Dynaco A-25
• Kloss-era KLH
• AR-4x

You could also build some Indignias.
 
Last edited:
+1 on the Large Advents. A great all around speaker which can be found inexpensively. Try to find a pair with recent refoamed woofers.
 
Thanks for all the feedback. Re-refoaming Advents, is this a challenging project? I know there are kits available, just want a reality check to see if this is worth taking in if I find Advents that need work...
 
I like Large Advents alot. I just picked up a second set from a local AK'er to run a stacked system. They need to be refoamed so we'll see what I think. I'm excited to say the least:banana: (Thanks Brainsmasher:thmbsp:)

You might try to have a listen to a few different speakers. I also like the Mach One's from Realistic. They may be a little more expensive than the Large Advents, but they also play pretty loud.

What kind of music will they be used for?
 
What kind of music do you listen to?

I like JBLs like L112s and L96s and Lxxxts for rock, the east coast speakers mentioned above are quite nice on jazz and classical. The smaller ADS speakers sound very nice for their size, and price as do NHT SUper Ones.
 
the 8100 was my first good amp, back when they were new. i ran new large advents with it, and it sounded great! alas, i sold the amp after about 15 years of perfect service, and it was stolen within a week from the new owner. :(
 
Thanks to everyone for the all the thoughts. Today I ended up buying a pair of re-foamed New Advents for the Kenwood 8100, & am looking locally at a pair of re-foamed Advent/1 (ie New Smaller Advent) for the Kenwood 5500. Oh, & this could become a problem, because I also have my eye on a little Kenwood receiver in a sweet wooden case...
 
Back
Top Bottom