• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Goodwill score - Teac A-4010S :)

My deck has a wiring harness from the transport that plugs into the amp below. I had to re-attach a wire, and re solder the female end. I'm assuming you've cleaned the switches and pots. Your deck is shockingly clean internally, and the heads look pretty good to me. They're 40 years old. It took me over a year's worth of fiddling to get mine working well. Sometimes you have to put it away, and think about it.
 
I bought mine new back in 69, gave it a refresh a couple times over the years. Even now it will record and play back a near perfect copy of a CD at 7 1/2 ips. Be sure and clean those heads before recording anything. There's a good website that shows how to do the maintenance if you're thinking about getting into it?
 
I've got a 4010GSL and absolutely love it. I've also got 3 AKAI's and they just sit and look pretty now (GX-370D and 2 GX-4000D's). The only thing I don't care for is the headcover doesn't flip up for ease of cleaning. Other than that, It's a good deck for what i need. I'd recommend the 4010 series for anyone just starting out or even someone who wants an inexpensive reliable deck.

Larry
 
Teac A-4010S

I just received one of these today, even came with the original power cord, dust cover and rubber nab hubs! I like it, appears to be well built and turns on, moves fast forward & reverse and the heads are in "excellent" condition and is a 9 out of 10 cosmetically! Only thing though is that it does not 'play'. I believe it needs a new belt.

Anyone know exactly what is the difference between the A-4010S and the A-4010SL as well as the A-4010GSL?
 
Last edited:
The 4010S does not have provisions for using hi-output tape during record. I think the remote controls are different. THe 4010GSL does not use rubber reel holders.... it has the twist locks (a big plus). The 4010GSL also have a "pause" switch in place of the "1/2 mil" switch used on the earlier models. The 4010GSL also has easy "reel height" adjusters (uses a screw adjustment instead of spacers). The GSL has high density heads where the others have permalloy. The GSL has dual scale meters. The GSL model can also be used with a timer adapter.
 
Teac A-4010S

Well as previously mentioned, I acquired a Teac A-4010S reel to reel this past Monday. I cleaned it, inside and out and sent off for a belt kit from Vintage Electronics. Received the belts this morning (Friday). Replaced the belt on the Pully and Flywheel (the original was in pieces) and the counter belt which was intact and worked but was very loose so I decided to replace it as well.
Replacing the Pully and Flywheel belt was a bit of a challenge (well for me at least) on this model reel to reel but was able to successfully install it. The "STOP" switch was a bit sticky but electronic contact cleaner solved that problem and now works like it should.
The unit came with two plastic reels, one of them has tape and something was recorded on it. I was going to toss it in the trash but once I replaced/fixed everything I decided to listen to it (using headphones) before I trashed it, just wanted to hear what was on it. Boy, was I sure surprised! I'm glad I didn't! It is loaded with nothing but good 60's music! Music that I remember listening to from the radio as a young lad. I'm keeping it for sure.
 
Last edited:
I wouldn't trash any tape, unless the tape is bad. You can record over it. Glad to hear you got some good music :)
 
Back
Top Bottom