• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Gordon Rankin 300B pair Cardinal X-2 Journey

allhartfidelity

More gear than sense
Just a neat experience thought I would share, as it seems no one in my immediate proximity (family) cares about my tube addiction....;)
Had been wanting to try a 300B style amp for some time, on my Belle Klipsch. I've had all sorts of vintage amps over the years, but wanted lastly the 300b. A buddy saw a pair of Wavelength Audio Cardinal x-1 (or so they were listed) on Craig's. I had never heard of them, and did some research. Seem like a well built and well respected model so I bought them. Research showing many x-1 seemed to have been upgraded to X-2, and mine had a brass colored end caps (transformers) so I was curiouse. That it seems was an option. Upon pulling the bottom cover I noticed the sticker said x-2. So...these are an X-2 not X1. A bit newer then that had originally thought. Good.
Build on these dec 2004, and they diddnt hit the market till 2005 so figured these were the first. I sent an email to Gordon Rankin, amd he did respond indicating these were likely the same amps shown in the pic on his web site.
http://www.wavelengthaudio.com/news.html

I blew up the X-2 on the page, and sure enough it's the same amp. Curly maple has very tell tale characteristics, and the amps say #1 in upper left corner of the tag.
While not a big deal that these were the first ones, or that they are pictured (one is) on the web site, I just thought the whole story as it goes was a cool twist on a nice pair of amps.
That said, I've had Mac 30, 60, VTL, Fisher, Scott, and many other amps on these Volti Audio upgraded Belle Klispch. Never have I had a pair of tube amps that are so dang quiet. Now undecided weather to pony up for the WE300B tube set... ouch.

20190804_214148.jpg
20190805_220407.jpg
20190804_215115.jpg

Fixed bias, but now if I only knew how to check the bias! First amps I've had where I can not do this, and it just feels strange....maybe I'm over thinking it. I've used bias as a way to check amp and tube health, and dont know where to test. Cathode I gather, with some multiplication needed...I suppose.
Any way, Its kinda neat when something I find winds up being more than I bargained for, and in a good way this time.
Happy listening folks.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I have rebuilt a friends late 1990s Cardinal a couple of times. The first time to trouble shoot a serious HUM problem and the second time to update the driver tube to the E180F and to make other incremental updates. These are very nice amps and I assume yours also have the Magnequest output and power transformers. We have run almost all the available 300Bs in the amps and the best by far is the EML 300B XLS.

These super rugged tubes with their 5 year warranty are not just a 300B clone, but are a modern tube with a couple of decades of engineering experience behind them. They operate just like a WE 300B but with updated materials and manufacturing techniques. If you are looking for nostalgia, then by all means try to find some engraved base Western Electric 300Bs from the 1940s. On the other hand it you are simply looking for the best sounding 300B, the EML is at the top of the heap.
 
Many thanks for this input. While not new to tube gear, I am new to 300b. Thus far I have tried all the other flavors(el34, kt series ect) accept the 45 on my Belle. Nostalgia...no, I cant hear that so while those tube have a draw because of rarity* I would not be prone to running them so couldn't enjoy the amps.
These do have Magnaquest, though not the silver ones I'm sure, while they do have optional brass bells for the trannies.
What a killer dead quiet pair of amps. I had no idea amps with high distortion could sound so good.
I will google the tube you recomend and see if I can locate a pair. I really want to try something else. Gordon did give me the green light to change rectifier tubes, though I hold little believe that will net a preferred sound or not. Still, since I have 45 or so old stock variants I may as well try one.
I dont suppose you would be willing to show me how to check voltages? Bias and others...
While I am no engineer, I have been inside this stuff for many years, and can follow direction to a T.
Maybe steal my pic of the bottom and mark it up for me if you know how?
Thanks again for the recomendations either way.
I have rebuilt a friends late 1990s Cardinal a couple of times. The first time to trouble shoot a serious HUM problem and the second time to update the driver tube to the E180F and to make other incremental updates. These are very nice amps and I assume yours also have the Magnequest output and power transformers. We have run almost all the available 300Bs in the amps and the best by far is the EML 300B XLS.

These super rugged tubes with their 5 year warranty are not just a 300B clone, but are a modern tube with a couple of decades of engineering experience behind them. They operate just like a WE 300B but with updated materials and manufacturing techniques. If you are looking for nostalgia, then by all means try to find some engraved base Western Electric 300Bs from the 1940s. On the other hand it you are simply looking for the best sounding 300B, the EML is at the top of the heap.
 
Probably should get off my phone...i see no way to order or check price on them. Info looks promising though. 5 year warranty on a tube? Impressive.
I have rebuilt a friends late 1990s Cardinal a couple of times. The first time to trouble shoot a serious HUM problem and the second time to update the driver tube to the E180F and to make other incremental updates. These are very nice amps and I assume yours also have the Magnequest output and power transformers. We have run almost all the available 300Bs in the amps and the best by far is the EML 300B XLS.

These super rugged tubes with their 5 year warranty are not just a 300B clone, but are a modern tube with a couple of decades of engineering experience behind them. They operate just like a WE 300B but with updated materials and manufacturing techniques. If you are looking for nostalgia, then by all means try to find some engraved base Western Electric 300Bs from the 1940s. On the other hand it you are simply looking for the best sounding 300B, the EML is at the top of the heap.
 
I have rebuilt a friends late 1990s Cardinal a couple of times. The first time to trouble shoot a serious HUM problem and the second time to update the driver tube to the E180F and to make other incremental updates. These are very nice amps and I assume yours also have the Magnequest output and power transformers. We have run almost all the available 300Bs in the amps and the best by far is the EML 300B XLS.

These super rugged tubes with their 5 year warranty are not just a 300B clone, but are a modern tube with a couple of decades of engineering experience behind them. They operate just like a WE 300B but with updated materials and manufacturing techniques. If you are looking for nostalgia, then by all means try to find some engraved base Western Electric 300Bs from the 1940s. On the other hand it you are simply looking for the best sounding 300B, the EML is at the top of the heap.
The 300b xls you mention...I notice that company also has a less expensive 300b of similar looks. Did you try that one as well?
 
I dont suppose you would be willing to show me how to check voltages? Bias and others...
While I am no engineer, I have been inside this stuff for many years, and can follow direction to a T.
Maybe steal my pic of the bottom and mark it up for me if you know how?
Thanks again for the recomendations either way.

If you take a clear bigger photo of the interior, I can tell you where to check voltages.
 
I have not tried the less expensive EML 300B tubes but do have the EML mesh plate 2A3-V4 which is a very sweet sounding tube with remarkable bass on my Zu Audio Soul Supreme speakers.
I did pick up a pair of the XLS version, while I am sure the standard (also gold pin) would have been fine. XLS build being more robust, thought they would last longer. Calculating hours of use, vs. Voltage of these amps, I figure I will get 40 years out of them being generous...many orig 1940 Ish WE 300b still strong even today so not unheard of.
At any rate, these are MUCH preferred to my ear over the Gold Lion
 

Attachments

  • 15669268421046789525869904811599.jpg
    15669268421046789525869904811599.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 8
I did take the last photo of the interior with high resolution. It gets butchered during the upload process. Happy to enlarge some location, or preferable send it direct to you, whichever is needed. Thnk you!
 
Last edited:
Oh
I think you can send it to me through AudioKarma.
Right, on it's way. If you want more specific pics of certain areas please do let me know.
Viewed on my phone its quite nice, but viewed within the thread it's very poor.
If it's still insufficient, please let me know.
 
Back
Top Bottom