• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Got a 1977 Marantz 2226 and I loooove the sound, but...

kevingnet

Member
I got a 1977 Marantz 2226 and I love the sound, however, when I use my Hitachi hma-7500-both are connected to B&W 603 s3, the hitachi runs circles around the marantz in sound quality?

What exactly?
1) Well, much louder, that's a given obviously..
2) More refined highs, marantz is warmer, but I also like the warm signature a lot, it's just that the hitachi seems more detailed
3) The bass is surprisingly full and fast in the marantz which I also very much like

Is this a thing about speaker/amp synergy and they just pair good.

For some naive reason I thought that the Marantz would sound so much better or at least as good as the many other amps/receiver. Is it that the Hitachi is really a worthy contender for this entry level Marantz? I hear that even though the wattage is small, the actual sound of the 2226 is very well liked as sweet and warm.

Any opinions on this? Are my expectations of the Marantz too strict? Has anyone had a chance to compare the two? or in any combination specially with the B&W speakers?

Thanks,
 
Register to hide this ad
Recap and retest!
Yep! I was afraid someone said that...

I'm afraid is a rabbit hole, since in all fairness I'd have to do the same for both, *and* bring both devices up to spec.

Since this may be infeasible for the time being. I'm wondering if there's a short cut, in the sense that someone has already compared both, regardless of condition of either, just to try and get an idea from the number of replys.

Thanks anyway @Hajidub
 
I'm not sure what kind of responses you are going to get. I have a 2226 which I am in the middle of recapping. As you know it is a nice but relatively low power "receiver". The Hitachi is a "power amp" with what appears to be lots of power (75W per channel) in a pretty nice package. I have never heard or seen the Hitachi but I would very surprised if it did out perform the 2226 depending on the input.

I can say that after recapping the power supply on the 2226 (quick and easy). I was able to perform the "power amplifier adjustment" & "power supply adjustment" (dc offset and bias). It sounds pretty good to me and I still have a the phono/switch board, power amp, tone amp and tuner to check over and mostly recap.

I would suggest at least recapping the power supply bd as it probably is most in need due to heat from its components. See if you can do the adjustments per the SM (a pretty good one is available on Hifiengine) then perform your comparison. I guess I am sort of wondering what you are using for input?

It may help people if they knew what you are hoping to get out of the comparison? However, given how specific it is I doubt you will have much luck getting responses.
 
I'm not sure what kind of responses you are going to get. I have a 2226 which I am in the middle of recapping. As you know it is a nice but relatively low power "receiver". The Hitachi is a "power amp" with what appears to be lots of power (75W per channel) in a pretty nice package. I have never heard or seen the Hitachi but I would very surprised if it did out perform the 2226 depending on the input.

I can say that after recapping the power supply on the 2226 (quick and easy). I was able to perform the "power amplifier adjustment" & "power supply adjustment" (dc offset and bias). It sounds pretty good to me and I still have a the phono/switch board, power amp, tone amp and tuner to check over and mostly recap.

I would suggest at least recapping the power supply bd as it probably is most in need due to heat from its components. See if you can do the adjustments per the SM (a pretty good one is available on Hifiengine) then perform your comparison. I guess I am sort of wondering what you are using for input?

It may help people if they knew what you are hoping to get out of the comparison? However, given how specific it is I doubt you will have much luck getting responses.
I think you're onto something about the recapping. Turns out, I was testing the receiver radio, and it was loud as heck, about 4 times. So it probably will benefit from a recap.

I want to practice my soldering skills some more. I remember some time ago, I applied for a job soldering components to boards in Orange, CA, I went in with just some experience from years before, so, I had 3 boards to do, and based on that I might be hired, the first board ended up looking reaaaally terrible, the second one looked pretty good and the third one looked impeccable (I thought.) The tester came and told me that I didn't make it because she averaged the 3 and it just didn't add up. I explained to her, that it had been a long time and that what should count is the third board as that would be the output of my work after I got the experience. She went by the dummy rules, rules are rules, blah, blah blah. I was quite disappointed at people's and blind rules' stupidity, that's why we have judges, not that they mean anything really. Anyway, later in like I was glad I didn't get that job, would have been inhaling too much chemical fumes, etc...

I have a few 'junk' receivers and I'd like to do one first and then I'll feel more comfortable as I am hoping the outcome can be as above, I mean the practice, not the job sob story, lol.

For input, I have several DACS, and several Marantz from the 80s, still made in Japan, they're two SR7000, and two SR8000, so I've only tested with an SR7000 in this manner:
1) Computer FLAC files
2) Software, deadbeef, talks directly to hardware device, no modifications, up to 32bit, 16 bit in most files
3) Built in motherboard sound card, digital output, using Coax SPDIF
4) Input to Marantz coax digital, forgot what DAC chip it uses, I believe a Cirrus Logic one, but it's said to be pretty good
5) Analog output to the Marantz 2226
6) Marantz 2226, receiver's Aux input.

Thanks for the advise BTW.
 
Last edited:
I think you're onto something about the recapping. Turns out, I was testing the receiver radio, and it was loud as heck, about 4 times. So it probably will benefit from a recap.

I want to practice my soldering skills some more. I remember some time ago, I applied for a job soldering components to boards in Orange, CA, I went in with just some experience from years before, so, I had 3 boards to do, and based on that I might be hired, the first board ended up looking reaaaally terrible, the second one looked pretty good and the third one looked impeccable (I thought.) The tester came and told me that I didn't make it because she averaged the 3 and it just didn't add up. I explained to her, that it had been a long time and that what should count is the third board as that would be the output of my work after I got the experience. She went by the dummy rules, rules are rules, blah, blah blah. I was quite disappointed at people's and blind rules' stupidity, that's why we have judges, not that they mean anything really. Anyway, later in like I was glad I didn't get that job, would have been inhaling too much chemical fumes, etc...

I have a few 'junk' receivers and I'd like to do one first and then I'll feel more comfortable as I am hoping the outcome can be as above, I mean the practice, not the job sob story, lol.

For input, I have several DACS, and several Marantz from the 80s, still made in Japan, they're two SR7000, and two SR8000, so I've only tested with an SR7000 in this manner:
1) Computer FLAC files
2) Software, deadbeef, talks directly to hardware device, no modifications, up to 32bit, 16 bit in most files
3) Built in motherboard sound card, digital output, using Coax SPDIF
4) Input to Marantz coax digital, forgot what DAC chip it uses, I believe a Cirrus Logic one, but it's said to be pretty good
5) Analog output to the Marantz 2226
6) Marantz 2226, receiver's Aux input.

Thanks for the advise BTW.
I think you are wise to start on some receivers that are not valuable to you. I did that to some extent several years ago when I first got the bug to restore vintage equipment. Soldering skills are clearly important but in my mind de-soldering is more important. I learn, seems like every day, how fragile traces are in vintage equipment or any equipment for that matter. Sounds like you have a plan so I say go for it!

The 2226 is a good one to start on when you are ready. The boards are very accessible and so far I have not screwed up that I know of. I am now in the process of removing the output transistors for testing. As many will say here fix the known problem first and then restore if necessary. My 2226 had noisy balance control and maybe a few other dirty pots. Deoxit is your friend. Fortunately, it doesn't have any other problems (unless I screw something up).

There is lots of info on all the forums. Lots of good advice and very helpful/ knowledgeable people. I am a basic "hobbyist" with a few aspirations to learn what I can.

There is not much actual info on restoring a 2226. No BOM lists and few photos. So I may post more as I go along.

Your "inputs" sound like something I do. I generally record mostly CD's to my computer. Output digitally to a newer Panasonic from my sound card then use analog output mostly to cassette. I have restored a few nice Sony's and a NAK DR-2. It was really how I got started in my retirement. I personally like tape and have a large collection of blanks which I picked up before the prices started going higher. I also record off of DISH (Sirius - Bluesville is the only channel I record to tape) and from CD digitally to MD.

Good luck and welcome to AK!!!
 
I think you are wise to start on some receivers that are not valuable to you. I did that to some extent several years ago when I first got the bug to restore vintage equipment. Soldering skills are clearly important but in my mind de-soldering is more important. I learn, seems like every day, how fragile traces are in vintage equipment or any equipment for that matter. Sounds like you have a plan so I say go for it!

The 2226 is a good one to start on when you are ready. The boards are very accessible and so far I have not screwed up that I know of. I am now in the process of removing the output transistors for testing. As many will say here fix the known problem first and then restore if necessary. My 2226 had noisy balance control and maybe a few other dirty pots. Deoxit is your friend. Fortunately, it doesn't have any other problems (unless I screw something up).

There is lots of info on all the forums. Lots of good advice and very helpful/ knowledgeable people. I am a basic "hobbyist" with a few aspirations to learn what I can.

There is not much actual info on restoring a 2226. No BOM lists and few photos. So I may post more as I go along.

Your "inputs" sound like something I do. I generally record mostly CD's to my computer. Output digitally to a newer Panasonic from my sound card then use analog output mostly to cassette. I have restored a few nice Sony's and a NAK DR-2. It was really how I got started in my retirement. I personally like tape and have a large collection of blanks which I picked up before the prices started going higher. I also record off of DISH (Sirius - Bluesville is the only channel I record to tape) and from CD digitally to MD.

Good luck and welcome to AK!!!
Hi @DAY4201, thanks for the valuable info. Yes, I'm really happy with the decisions, have a lot ahead. I'll be taking it slow for the time being until ready.

I wanted to share some info as well, hope it helps:
1) For CD ripping, use FLAC or other lossless, even though it takes up a lot of space, better sound quality.
2) Computers have a lot of electronic noise and that travels with any analog signal, however even if it travels some with digital signals, it does not affect it in the expected was as analog, since digital is 1/0, in the event that a noise signal gets to be too high, close to 1, the decoder would detect the error through a checksum and will request the packet again, kind of like the internet. Therefore, I'd suggest, if your sound card has a digital output to use that. Otherwise, you can either get a DAC with built in USB and stream that way.

Oh my! tapes, I remember them fondly, lots of years of enjoyment since my childhood.
 
Those Hitachi mosfet amps are really nice sounding. I have the smaller 50 watt HMA 6500. No offense to lower powered Marantz (I have plenty myself) but your Hitachi amp has more power and great Mosfet sound qualities. Obviously a recap would benefit both.
 
I have to agree, comparing your two receivers is like comparing apples to oranges. Everyone likes 70’s Marantz receivers, but there is higher quality TOTL equipment that sound better. There are great Pioneer turntables, but there are top-end C.E.C. turntables that sound better for the same price.
 
I have to agree, comparing your two receivers is like comparing apples to oranges. Everyone likes 70’s Marantz receivers, but there is higher quality TOTL equipment that sound better. There are great Pioneer turntables, but there are top-end C.E.C. turntables that sound better for the same price.
Would you say that in this case the Hitachi (well, considering if they're both recapped) would have a 'better' sound signature than the 2226? Not accounting for the power, although more power seems to bring the best of hungry speakers.
 
A more sensitive speaker would be even more revealing in the differences between the two receivers. If you found a Marantz amplifier and used the Marantz receiver as a preamp with some sensitive speakers, that would be a better comparison between the two.
 
A more sensitive speaker would be even more revealing in the differences between the two receivers. If you found a Marantz amplifier and used the Marantz receiver as a preamp with some sensitive speakers, that would be a better comparison between the two.
kind of makes sense, however, it seems that this would only compare preamps, and not the actual amps. Is this correct? if so, what benefit do we get from that?
 
Would you say that in this case the Hitachi (well, considering if they're both recapped) would have a 'better' sound signature than the 2226? Not accounting for the power, although more power seems to bring the best of hungry speakers.
Different designs all have different sound signatures. Plus MOSFET to BJT is 100% an apples to oranges comparison. Each will have their pros and cons in some areas of music reproduction. Use the Marantz Pre-out to the Hitachi, and the Hitachi will even sound different.
 
Back
Top Bottom