• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Got a Hakko FR-301...no hole in tip?

z-adamson

Addicted Member
This was a Xmas gift.

The hakko fr301.

The tip that comes with it looks like a soldering iron tip. Or I suppose you could say it looks like a bullet nose.

The pic on the cover of the box the tool comes in has a hole in the tip which makes sense.

I don't understand how to use the desoldering gun with a tip that has no hole in it.

What am I missing?

See the pics. Is something wrong or am I simply not understanding how to use the tool?15461459225961239546769.jpg 15461459526461467180656.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
The tip may be pre-tinned. Get it up to temperature and hopefully it will clear and be ready to use.
 
Is it advisable to put flux on the joint before desoldering with the hakko desoldering tool? I always did with my radio shack bulb type desoldering tool and it worked great that way. Not sure if that's a good idea with the hakko tool though.

Thoughts?
 
Well, just gave it a go.

Doesn't even need flux.

Anyone not using one of these things is missing out big time.

The to shape and size, it can't be used 100% of the time, but when it can be used.....oh boy is it nice!
 
Is it advisable to put flux on the joint before desoldering with the hakko desoldering tool? I always did with my radio shack bulb type desoldering tool and it worked great that way. Not sure if that's a good idea with the hakko tool though.

Thoughts?

Before I get started, I clean all of the joints with pure alcohol and acetone helps with difficult flux residue. I do use a tiny amount of flux on through hole plated and multi layer boards. It is also good for oxidized joints that occasionally don't cooperate.

This tip is a good option to have on hand.
upload_2018-12-31_8-51-24.png
 
I'm reviving this thread because I have a tip question. I'm setting up an electronics workstation and I'm buying the Hakko FR-301. Is the tip that it arrives with the gun right the size for stereo components repair? Should I get any other tips? I don't want to buy uneeded gear, but I don't want to pay shipping on one or two tips later.

Edited to add: I thought the post above was just about flux, and I now see it has a tip suggestion, too. I'll look up that tip, but would still like to hear everyone's opinions.
 
Last edited:
I'm reviving this thread because I have a tip question. I'm setting up an electronics workstation and I'm buying the Hakko FR-301. Is the tip that it arrives with the gun right the size for stereo components repair? Should I get any other tips? I don't want to buy uneeded gear, but I don't want to pay shipping on one or two tips later.

Edited to add: I thought the post above was just about flux, and I now see it has a tip suggestion, too. I'll look up that tip, but would still like to hear everyone's opinions.

The tip that comes with it will work just fine.

Carter
 
I wondered the same thing about tips when I bought my FR-301. I'm glad I waited for it to arrive because I haven't found anything the included tip can't do....yet.

Carter
 
Before I get started, I clean all of the joints with pure alcohol and acetone helps with difficult flux residue. I do use a tiny amount of flux on through hole plated and multi layer boards. It is also good for oxidized joints that occasionally don't cooperate.

This tip is a good option to have on hand.
View attachment 1371832
I bought this tip. Perfect for desoldering IC's.
 
I'm glad I waited for it to arrive because I haven't found anything the included tip can't do....yet.
This is the right idea. The tips are spendy, so wait until you can justify it. Tight spots is where I use it with a temp controlled unit.
 
Back
Top Bottom