• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Got any albums with notes such as "to be played at maximum volume" and such?

Have several singles with that printed on it. Longer lengths of recorded music on vinyl means lower levels when cutting the record in order to squeeze more grooves into the playing area.

Well they say you learn something new each day! Cool little tid bit.
 
I've got a number of CDs - mostly from the early to mid 90s - that specifically mention that they have have been mastered in such a way that they recommend listening at particularly high levels. I'm fairly certain that The Cure's Disintegration was one of these, perhaps some The Smashing Pumpkins.

I guess that was back when CDs had dynamic range :(
 
On the cover of Graveyard Shift by Scott H. Biram listeners are told "This record sounds best when played LOUD!
 
Last edited:
Just the opposite of most of the things here, I have several Telarc CDs with this warning in the booklet.

"Telarc Digital Compact Disks, especially those containing substantially wide dynamic range, will present an extraordinary challenge to all stereo systems. Certain components - even the finest - may have problems with the most demanding passages. Damage could result to speakers or other components if the musical program is played back at excessively high levels."

And another warning in one of them.

"WARNING! SPECIAL SYNTHESIZER INTRO & CLOSING. Lower levels are recommended for initial playback until a safe level can be determined for your equipment."

Best part is, they aren't kidding.
 
Just the opposite of most of the things here, I have several Telarc CDs with this warning in the booklet.

"Telarc Digital Compact Disks, especially those containing substantially wide dynamic range, will present an extraordinary challenge to all stereo systems. Certain components - even the finest - may have problems with the most demanding passages. Damage could result to speakers or other components if the musical program is played back at excessively high levels."

And another warning in one of them.

"WARNING! SPECIAL SYNTHESIZER INTRO & CLOSING. Lower levels are recommended for initial playback until a safe level can be determined for your equipment."

Best part is, they aren't kidding.

have you heard the PDQ Bach CD? :D or READ the pamphlet?
 
Similost:

It IS System of a Down's 2nd album. I have it as well. Double-viynl-picture-disc is good as well. ;)

Back on topic; I have Audioslave's DVD w/all of their videos on it; and "Show me how to live" has the words "Play Loud" for about 2 seconds before the video starts.


:)

Matt
 
Frank Zappa - Lumpy Gravy. One the inside of the gatefold there is a note on the right side that says: Note: Listen to side one first AND TURN IT ALL THE WAY UP !!!
 
Off the top of my head.

The Rolling Stones, Beggars Banquet says: This Record Should Be Played Loud.
I have a J. Geils live record that states: Play this record loud!
And I had a record that said, 'made loud to be played loud', but I forget what record that was, at this point.

My copy of Beggards Banquet doesn't have that. But what it does have is on the inside when I open the album, the picture of the Stones at the table was glued inside the album upside down. My copy is on the London Label PS 539. Anyone else have it this way?
 
I have two LPs by Colour Haze on the German label Elecktrohasch. They're a stoner rock band from Germany and both lps have this on the back:

"This is an audiophillic all-analogue recording without any additional compression to give you full dynamics and the most true sound reproduction! Therefore: PLAY LOUD!" :rockon:

They are serious too! This kind of music MUST be played loud to really get the full effect and emotion behind it. Otherwise it is just so much lo-fi noise. These guys are HUGE in Germany BTW. I wish they would tour the US.
 
So do you like Bowie David? If so... that kinda offsets the John Denver thing in my book :thmbsp:

I like and enjoy a VERY diverse range of things....

just played John Denver's Greatest, and then Culture Club, and then Cats soundtrack, and Romeo and Juliet Soundtrack during the night....:D
 
I like and enjoy a VERY diverse range of things....

just played John Denver's Greatest, and then Culture Club, and then Cats soundtrack, and Romeo and Juliet Soundtrack during the night....:D

Now if you'd played The Fall between Cats and Romeo and Juliet THEN I'd agree it was diverse :smoke:
 
My copy of Beggards Banquet doesn't have that. But what it does have is on the inside when I open the album, the picture of the Stones at the table was glued inside the album upside down. My copy is on the London Label PS 539. Anyone else have it this way?
MY BAD!
For some reason my fingers typed, 'Beggars', but my brain thought I had typed, 'Let It Bleed'. Go figure. :scratch2:

I must be older than I think.:tears:
 
p21800037tc7.jpg


p218000212ne6.jpg


TRANCE
Chris and Cosey
The Creative Technology Institute

Rough Trade
 
I'm a little ashamed to admit that I know this, but the first Vinnie Vincent Invasion album has "MADE 2 B PLAYED AT MAXIMUM VOLUME" written on the inside cover.
Admittedly not the best album of the 80s.
 
At least on release by Irish indie band Toasted Heretic stated clearly "Please play at the maximum volume consistent with listening pleasure". Sensible advice I'm sure you'll agree.
 
Nirvana - In Utero - Actually has a graphic as to how to set the tone controls. Always thought that was kinda funny. And the settings sound like scheisse.

J

Its a Steve Albini production isn't it? And he's generally all about the harsh trebly sound. He's against a good rounded bass sound because either:

a) Its a corporate rock sell out and betrays the music or

b) he's woman hating misogyanist and bass is too female as opposed to the more masculine sound of agreesive harsh feedback.

Your choice.
 
From the liner notes to Jeff Beck's great album "Truth" -

"Shapes of Things - Rearranged, but the same Yardbirds hit. This must be played at maximum volume whatever phonograph you use. Makes very appropriate background music if you have Vicar over for tea."
 
Back
Top Bottom