• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Got some Realistic TT's

Mattwizz3

Web-er-web user...
Lately I seem to be a bit of a TT magnet. I was given 2 turn tables by a friend and I just got a decent TT for $20 today. The one I bought today is a Realistic LAB-395 direct drive with its owners manual and original receipt from 1982, it originally sold for $189. It seems to work well, but is skipping a lot and a reasonably good record. Still, I hooked it up to my main system and I'm impressed by the sound. Its the first turn table I have put in my main system.

R1.jpg


The other Realistic given to me by my friend is a LAB-701 Belt drive which seems perfect, but it's RCA cables are broken so I cant listen to it right now.

R2.jpg


In your opinion, which TT out of these two should I use? The LAB-395 has a cart with 'R47 EDT' written on it with a Shure RS 5T stylus, I dont know whats on the 701, but has Audio Technica T4P written on it.

Oh, how do I know if they are MM or MC? I have plugged it into the MM plug in the back of the amp but dont know if thats right. Thanks for any help.
 
Register to hide this ad
Yep they'd be moving magnet, MC carts are very experinsive. Try adjusting the tracking weight if the TT is skipping
 
I remember the LAB395 when it was new and wanting one. As far as the skipping, make sure the right tracking force is applied, otherwise maybe there is something else wrong. I would certainly keep the 395 if I had to choose. :music:

PS is that a Beatles record?
 
It is a Beatles record, my parents. 'The Essential Beatles'

I think I will have to buy a new stylus for it, I'm not so sure about the one on there. I tried adjusting the tracking weight but it only helps a little. I'll give my records a clean and try again. My parents never cleaned records so I only found out here that you had to clean them.

I'll give the other TT to my parents along with one of my receivers. They have a really crappy all in one where only the record part works so they will be happy with somthing nicer.

More pics at a better angle:
R395a.jpg


R395b.jpg
 
I bet that 395 is a re-labeled Technics!

You can tell on some models by checking the platter.

I have a belt drive MCS (model 6205?); when you remove/flip the platter, the trademark "Technics" is cast into the underside. Did Technics make the whole TT? Don't know, but I'd be surprised if they didn't.
 
the 395 is a technics. keep it for main and others for parts or backup. I have a RS/technics and real technics and you cant tell them apart other than the badging. that 395 looks like pretty TOTL model.
99% of mas mkt TTs came with MM carts. MCs were costly. Up to user to put on if wanted. Get a GOOD MM cart. one recommended by an AK guru or just use your own smarts and pik one. It;s hard to go wrong, but some are better than others, but who can buy em all and use the best one. drop the 50-100 bucks or so. You are already ahead with the TT.
 
Sweet, nice to see I got a good score. It also came with a little plastic arm with little brushes on it. Dont know how you'd attach it though. I'll have a look at getting a stylus and cart.

Heh, its nice that it matches the rest of my system. The first time I used the phono section on my amp, sounds good!
 
Back
Top Bottom