• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

GPA 604's

rromeo

Active Member
I own a pair of GPA. 604-8K's...The issue is these seem to be unknown etc....Altec 604-8K is a thing...but GPA has no history of 604-8k...I contacted Bill at GPA and sent him photos some time ago...he responded saying that they are real and GPA made them early on but he gave no other info...He did not respond to my email regarding further information. The guy I bought these from is well known in the GPA/Altec Speaker world. He claims they are actually GPA 604-8HII's and that GPA was going to call them 604-8K's but changed the name to GPA 604-8HII....I replaced a pair of Altec 604-8G's with these and these GPA 604-8K/*HII's are definitely an improvement.
I am considering getting GPA 604-8HIII's and am concerned that if I try to sell these GPA 604-8K's or whatever they are the prospective buyers may have questions and I would like some back up info.

Anyone know anything about these GPA 604-8K???
 
Register to hide this ad
As you stated the GP6048K is an improvement over the Altec 8G's.
What Quality's are you thinking the the newer GP8H 111 can improve on? the Bigger Urei type horns?
 
I am really trying to determine exactly what I have here and then can better determine if the GPA 8HIII is a big difference and what would be the market for the ones I have. Do a search on GPA 604-8K....they basically do not exist, but they do......LOL
 
So some more info....
604-8G were deeper in dimensions than the GPA 604-8K....
Anyone know the dimensions of the Altec GPA 604-8K? online I am seeing 16 diameter/18.2 in Depth. Online I am seeing on the 604-8g 16" Diameter/ 11 1/8" Depth ( I think that is wrong, but not sure) Anyway the ones I have (GPA 604-8k are less deep than the Altec 604-8gs I had) so....if the Altec 604-8ks are actually deeper than the 8gs, then mine aren't Altec 604-8Ks...I cant seem to find dimensions on GPA-8HII's
 
Some newer info if anyone is interested...This is from Jeff Markwart who designed the crossovers for this particular set of speakers....

RE: Gpa 604 8k crossovers
  • photo


    Jeff Markwart
    To'RICHARD ROMEO'
    3/24/2024

    Mar 24, 2024 at 4:24 PM

    2 attachments
    Rick,
    I may be able to shed a bit of light here.
    After Altec ceased operations in the late 90’s, Bill Hanushuak (sp?) bought all the tooling and intellectual property rights for their sound products and started GPA. Another company separately started on the west coast about that time called Iconic Manufacturing and planned to market a line of speakers with drivers sourced from GPA. See attached PDF tear sheet for their driver, the 704-8A. My understanding was that the Altec 604-8K was essentially the same speaker as GPA’s first named duplex, the 604-8L, as well as Iconic’s private branded driver from GPA, the Iconic 704-8-A. See attached picture of the GPA 604-8L I received from Jay Fisher labeled as a GPA 604-8K.

    Anyway, that’s why I labelled the crossover for both the GPA-604-8L/Iconic 704-8A as I believed they were the same driver essentially.

    Jeff
 
Should have mounted the speakers to the front of the cabinet to help reduce edge diffractions which influence upper midrange frequencies. Personnally I prefer the 604 model that used the sectoral horns Urei had Altec develop with foam on the edge to reduce tweeter edge diffractions. But after saying that the later versions of the 604 were still the best sounding speaker system Altec ever made. That includes the model 19.
 
So some more info....
604-8G were deeper in dimensions than the GPA 604-8K....
Anyone know the dimensions of the Altec GPA 604-8K? online I am seeing 16 diameter/18.2 in Depth. Online I am seeing on the 604-8g 16" Diameter/ 11 1/8" Depth ( I think that is wrong, but not sure) Anyway the ones I have (GPA 604-8k are less deep than the Altec 604-8gs I had) so....if the Altec 604-8ks are actually deeper than the 8gs, then mine aren't Altec 604-8Ks...I cant seem to find dimensions on GPA-8HII's
Your comparing Altec 604-8G Alinco to 604-8K ferrite. GPA 604-8H-II is ferrite, Altec 604-8H is Alinco.

https://www.technicalaudio.com/pdf/Duplex_Speakers_related_to_Altec_604/DUPLEX.html
 
Back
Top Bottom