• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Grace F-9 stylus/cantilever repair options

Hose53

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hi Folks,
Looking for a bit of direction on this.
I managed to cause a bit of alignment issues with the stylus.
It is pointing to the side instead of down. While making a move I thought it was secured but alas it was not and it fell off the tonearm support. This was to my AR ES-1
What are my options to have it looked at, realigned and while there maybe check its condition and see if it warrants an upgrade?
I'm open to responses here or through a conversation.
Thank you all!
 
Register to hide this ad
Soundsmith has a number of new stylus for that cart. I can say the Ruby cantilevered version sound great. He has some cheaper options with an Aluminum cantilever, but I can't testify to those.
 
I sent my F9 to Soundsmith when I did the exact same thing to mine (Mine was the Soundsmith stylus) . I can tell you that they did an excellent job with renewing my stylus however, it took over a year for me to get my cart back and I would call every 3 months to check up .

Each time I got the we are very busy (which I fully understand) however 1yr 2 months to be exact for a stylus repair is uncalled for, mind you this was a year prior to the Covid outbreak. Could have been an isolated case where I just got the short end if the stick who knows but thought I would put my experience out there.

I also want to add that each time I spoke with Peter he was very nice and apologetic on the phone as well as professional.

Audiofreak71
 
Thanks that is good to know on both counts. I do have a second F-9 that I can use while this one is out.
This is the cartridge Marc and I were listening to on a Santana album, at one point we both looked at each other in surprise as we both heard some sounds we had not heard before! His wife even commented on how nice it sounded.
 
Thanks that is good to know on both counts. I do have a second F-9 that I can use while this one is out.
This is the cartridge Marc and I were listening to on a Santana album, at one point we both looked at each other in surprise as we both heard some sounds we had not heard before! His wife even commented on how nice it sounded.

Grace cartridges are kinda special. I have 3 of the F-8 line, two are the F-8C Custom, the third an F-8L10' Advanced Liminal Trace 10th Anniversary edition cartridge and stylus. Purchased all 3 NOS, the Anniversary cartridge is mounted on a Grace G707 arm/Kenwood KD500 table.

Though the synergy of the Grace cartridge mounted on the arm it was designed for can't be denied I was shown the cartridge still had plenty more to give.

Installing one of the F-8C cartridges on the Well Tempered Lab Turntable revealed just how much more, and like you was taken aback at the level of playback I was experiencing.

I have a LOMC Denon DL301 installed on my Kenwood KD770D and it's an outstanding combination, the Grace on the WTL was a definite step up.

My Denon had its cantilever destroyed by our cleaning lady, Joseph did an outstanding job retipping it with less than a 3 week turnaround. I wouldn't hesitate to use him again, and plan to soon to repair my Grado Platinum also destroyed by the cleaning lady, both in one day.
 
Thanks Grenadeslio!
I need to get things situated here but first must complete an XA followed by another XA. This year has been difficult to get back into a rhythm. I have a KD-500 also with Grace 707 and F-8L, at least that is what the seller said it was. Looking at it on the arm I can't see anything other than Grace.
So in my cse here it wasn't a cleaning lady just me! Grrr!
 
Thanks Grenadeslio!
I need to get things situated here but first must complete an XA followed by another XA. This year has been difficult to get back into a rhythm. I have a KD-500 also with Grace 707 and F-8L, at least that is what the seller said it was. Looking at it on the arm I can't see anything other than Grace.
So in my cse here it wasn't a cleaning lady just me! Grrr!

Pictures of your F-8, maybe I can confirm which cartridge/stylus you have.
 
Thanks that is good to know on both counts. I do have a second F-9 that I can use while this one is out.
This is the cartridge Marc and I were listening to on a Santana album, at one point we both looked at each other in surprise as we both heard some sounds we had not heard before! His wife even commented on how nice it sounded.
They do sound excellent, may be about the best sounding MM cart I’ve heard and they are stepped up a notch with the Soundsmith stylus , more refined like a MC cart with the same dynamics and slam as the oem f9’s . Either way it’s worth getting that stylus repaired at a minimum.

Audiofreak71
 
Sorry! But think of it this way, imagine how lovely it will sound!
I'm going to let him take a look at it to determine what to do with it, I am tempted to upgrade since it is there! How much better can it be?!, Won't know unless I have it done!
 
I recently acquired a Denon DP-45F with a Grace stylus that is damaged, I saw mentions of Joseph in here for repairs. Can someone shoot me over his info so I can reach out?


BE5IMGz.jpg


Thanks!
 
Back
Top Bottom