• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Grace F8 info needed

ctjetta

It's not a perfect world
I recently won a Grace F8 stylus. It happened to have a ruby cantilever (it's so delicate looking I'm afraid to use it). So, pretty happy. I then acquired a Grace F8 body; after all, what good's a stylus without the body?
So, now I have this lovely Grace cartridge. Except, other than knowing that Grace's are held in high esteem, particularly the F9, this cartridge is a mystery to me.
Does anyone have any insight into the F8, maybe even the one with the ruby cantilever?
 
Register to hide this ad
I think a search here and elsewhere will yield significant results. This is a well documented couple of Grace models with plenty of great stylus options. Don't buy a stylus if your afraid to use it. The benefit of buying it is hearing it and not looking at it. ;)
 
I didn't know until know that you could get an F8 with a ruby cantilever. Thought those were only available on the F9.
I had an F9 Ruby that was retipped by the Soundsmith. It was a terrific cartridge that I stupidly traded away.
 
Last edited:
The F9E was my favorite cartridge I never owned. Friends had them, we sold them and I demoed them occasionally. I had given away my record collection by then only keeping 20 of the best. And having an V-15Vmr, a 981 Hzl, and a coupe of Ortofons just to play 20 records or so when I was all about 15 ips 2 trk recordings I had made myself, having another cartridge just never entered my mind. Then came CD's and once I got a great. Revox player I was set. Many years later I discovered Dynavector when I wiped out my last
Stanton phono stylus. I now I have a second collection though smaller this time. I mean why have 1000+ LP's when you have close to 4000 CD's, DVD-A and SACD. I love the LP's I do have very much. If Grace were still in business I would definitely have one, but I'll stick with my. 20X 2 and 10 x 5 Dynavectors.
 
Last edited:
The F9E was my favorite cartridge I never owned. Friends had them, we sold them and I demoed them occasionally. I had given away my record collection by then only keeping 20 of the best. And having an V-15Vmr, a 981 Hzl, and a coupe of Ortofons just to play 20 records or so when I was all about 15 ips 2 trk recordings I had made myself, having another cartridge just never entered my mind. Then came CD's and once I got a great. Revox player I was set. Many years later I discovered Dynavector when I wiped out my last phono stylus. I now have a second collection though smaller this time. I mean why have 1000+ LP's when you have close to 4000 CD's, DVD-A and SACD. I love the LP's I do have very much. If Grace were still in business I would definitely have one, but I'll stick with my. 20X 2 and 10 x 5 Dynavectors.
Thanks for reinforcing the notion that grace cartridges are well thought of. And if a NOS Dynavector comes along at the similar deal I got the Grace at I'll give it some serious consideration.
Don't buy a stylus if your afraid to use it. The benefit of buying it is hearing it and not looking at it. ;)
Such wise words. :rolleyes: Just because I expressed trepidation at handling this stylus doesn't imply it will remain unused. It wasn't purchased as a stand alone display. It obviously was designed to be used as normal stylus; it just appears so ephemeral compared to say, a Stanton cantilever.
I think a search here and elsewhere will yield significant results.
My bad. :oops: I sometimes forget that I should just search the forum rather than include the AK community in on my new acquisition and the experience of learning from others. Sadly, I'll probably make this mistake again. You don't need to feel like you have to respond when I do. I'll be OK with that. :thumbsup:
 
We’re all excited about your purchase. No issues here. You sound a little put off. I guess my point was that both the 8 and the 9 have been well discussed here and elsewhere and that rather than rehashing the same ole again you might find what your looking for faster by searching. If that’s not your thing and you like the tagalong effect of a new purchase I get that. Kinda like getting validation that you made the right decision. Yes, the ruby is timid looking but more sturdy than some of the hollow aluminum cants of the day. You know the ones with dents and bends in em. Either way, enjoy the ride.
 
We’re all excited about your purchase. No issues here. You sound a little put off. I guess my point was that both the 8 and the 9 have been well discussed here and elsewhere and that rather than rehashing the same ole again you might find what your looking for faster by searching. If that’s not your thing and you like the tagalong effect of a new purchase I get that. Kinda like getting validation that you made the right decision. Yes, the ruby is timid looking but more sturdy than some of the hollow aluminum cants of the day. You know the ones with dents and bends in em. Either way, enjoy the ride.
Thank you for joining me in this most exciting of experiences- the acquisition of a rare and fancy/cartridge/stylus. Don't know if it's worth the expense versus what a comparable new cartridge would be, but, there's only one way to find out.
And yes, I do love me some validation, I'll be the first to admit. However, as we all should have learned here, you're just as likely to get negative responses so I don't actively seek it. If I do, say so.
I do, however, like to gather community input on what I don't read about everyday (as opposed to another KD-500 or Thorens thread).
So, again, thank you for your warm and receptive reply.
 
Now, for anyone who's interested, I was able to get some info from somebody who was kind enough to reply to an email request from out of the blue and he was very helpful.
It is as follows:

The main specs for the F-8 Ruby are:

Output voltage: 5mV
VTF: 1g to 3g (optimum 2g)
Frequency response: 20 - 25K Hz
Channel separation: 26dB
Load resistance: 30 - 100k Ohms
Weight: 6.5g

The cart is strong across the board, especially on low or medium mass tonearms...it's highly detailed but not brittle, with good extension on both ends of the frequency spectrum. It's perhaps not as lively as something like the AT VM540ML, which is a beast of a cartridge at $249 or whatever its current retail price is. I like the Grace more for jazz and classical than some other carts--it's better than the $1250 Zyx Bloom 3 in that regard, in my estimation--but it might be a little "polite" if you're a rocker. A very nice cartridge all-around, though!

So, mission accomplished.
Thanks to all for looking.
 
Is it true that Sumiko Pearl, Andante-e, Coral 555, Shelter 201, A&R P77/C77 are all variations of the same generator as Grace F8/F9/Level II/F14?
 
Is it true that Sumiko Pearl, Andante-e, Coral 555, Shelter 201, A&R P77/C77 are all variations of the same generator as Grace F8/F9/Level II/F14?
I, for one do nor know. Hopefully someone will let us know. It certainly would be helpful.
I currently have a Sumiko Pearl, new in the box. I suppose I could try myself to see if the styli at least will interchange with the other bodies. Would have to wait before I mount anything to listen to, though.
Anyone have any experience with this group of cartridges?
 
There are lots of threads about this here and there. I think there's another forum that is famous for booting forum members in mass purges that has a long thread about which styli yield the best results.
Mass purges, you say?! No?! I hate when that happens!
 
Back
Top Bottom