• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Grace F8-R Ruby

MRL_Audio

RIP 2022
I have interest in the Grace cartridges and the F8-R Ruby is available to me but I can not find much information about it. There is some out there on the F9-Ruby but can't find anything worthwhile on the F8. Nothing in VE Cartridge Database. Some pictures attached. Any Grace owners or previous owners, appreciate comments, insights and thoughts on this pretty rare cartridge. Thanks for looking.
 

Attachments

  • Grace F9-R Ruby_0.jpg
    Grace F9-R Ruby_0.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Grace F9-R Ruby_2.jpg
    Grace F9-R Ruby_2.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 36
  • Grace F9-R Ruby_3.jpg
    Grace F9-R Ruby_3.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 36
  • Grace F9-R Ruby_4.jpg
    Grace F9-R Ruby_4.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 37
Register to hide this ad
Nice pics, thanks for sharing.

I have the F8-L, the bottom of the the Grace F8 lineup, and it think that it's a fantastic cartridge. It sounds very open and airy, with an excellent sense of dynamics. It reminds me of the detail and intricacy of some AT carts (like the AT-440mla), but with a softer top end. I prefer it to most other cartridges, including my Shure V-15 type IV, and Stanton 681-EE (both with OEM styli). I can only imagine how much better the Ruby version sounds over the standard F8. If it is in good shape I'd check it out.
 
I own two F9R and suspect that the difference isn't that much between the F9 and F8. If the condition and price are right I'd say grab it, I seriously doubt you could go wrong with any Grace cartridge/stylus.
 
I own two F9R and suspect that the difference isn't that much between the F9 and F8. If the condition and price are right I'd say grab it, I seriously doubt you could go wrong with any Grace cartridge/stylus.

As an F9 Ruby user I definitely agree...!
 
So she arrived today and for now I am kinda stuck. The damn pins are much smaller than any of the other cartridge I have. WTF - no standard for Grace? I know I could crimp the wire fitments on my headshell but this type of thing has gotten me in trouble in the past with over crimping. I have another set of wires but it appears the wires on this headshell are somewhat permanently attached. This is a Microtrace tonearm on a HK T45C turntable. I tried to remove the wire and the "metal" end stayed in the headshell with the "tinned" wire breaking free. Are there smaller fitments? Thought they were all the same size.
 
So she arrived today and for now I am kinda stuck. The damn pins are much smaller than any of the other cartridge I have. WTF - no standard for Grace? I know I could crimp the wire fitments on my headshell but this type of thing has gotten me in trouble in the past with over crimping. I have another set of wires but it appears the wires on this headshell are somewhat permanently attached. This is a Microtrace tonearm on a HK T45C turntable. I tried to remove the wire and the "metal" end stayed in the headshell with the "tinned" wire breaking free. Are there smaller fitments? Thought they were all the same size.
Just get yourself set up at a table in a comfortable position, good light and crimp the tabs. I find it's best to do one half/side of the tab.
 
Stick the pointy end of a toothpick into the tab before crimping. The wood will compress and stop the tab from squashing flat if you apply too much force.

I agree, it's a drag no standard pin size was ever agreed on.
 
Back
Top Bottom