• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Grado Cartridge Identification

teuchter85

New Member
I need help identifying this old Grado Cartridge. It has a black body, with yellow (gold?) dots on either side of the stylus assembly, and the number 279 on top, which I believe is a date code (February 1979?). Research so far suggests it may be a G-1+ but I would really like to be certain. It is fitted to an SME 3009 Series 3 with the damper and I need to know the cartridge compliance to ensure that the correct paddle and fluid viscosity is used.


View media item 26213View media item 26212View media item 26211
 
Register to hide this ad
Sorry!...newbie error. I just changed the album permission so that it can be viewed by members. Hopefully that fixes it!.
 
Looks like a 2/1979 G1+ to me. Supposedly those black body ones had higher than normal compliance - up around 35cu as opposed to 20-25cu for other Grados.
 
Great info...thanks!...if it is anything above 20 cu.s. then I need to use the black paddle and the low viscosity fluid...supposedly the series III works best with high compliance cartridges, so this Grado should be a good match
 
Looks like a 2/1979 G1+ to me. Supposedly those black body ones had higher than normal compliance - up around 35cu as opposed to 20-25cu for other Grados.

Out of curiosity is this true of the whole Grado live at the time? I have an F3+ with a black body I don't have a lot of info on.
 
Out of curiosity is this true of the whole Grado live at the time? I have an F3+ with a black body I don't have a lot of info on.
I can't say for sure but I remember Grado expert Marc Morin (RIP) saying that the black body G1+ was an oddball because it had the higher compliance than the rest of the Grados.
 
Back
Top Bottom