• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Grado Lab Wood Tonearm but unknown Turntable

vaathi

baski
Subscriber
Got this for a good deal... I went to look at Ultra clean Fisher Big Dial 500c with JBL speakers in Console. Seller was asking 800 for the console with the barzilay cabs. I cannot sneak in Barzilay cabs though... I glanced upon this turntable and made a good deal.. I know that wooden tonearm is from Grado lab series. It has Shure M7 cartridge with stylus intact but bent. I cannot figure out what kinda turntable this is. Platter is super heavy and it is run by a single motor. Looks homemade... Please Help me identify the turntable.. I have to add that it works and plays..


IMG_5901.JPG
 
Register to hide this ad
Got this for a good deal... I went to look at Ultra clean Fisher Big Dial 500c with JBL speakers in Console. Seller was asking 800 for the console with the barzilay cabs. I cannot sneak in Barzilay cabs though... I glanced upon this turntable and made a good deal.. I know that wooden tonearm is from Grado lab series. It has Shure M7 cartridge with stylus intact but bent. I cannot figure out what kinda turntable this is. Platter is super heavy and it is run by a single motor. Looks homemade... Please Help me identify the turntable.. I have to add that it works and plays..


View attachment 705054

can you show the underside?
 
nice arm, no matter what

I've been on the hunt (on and off) for a clean, complete example. My Thorens TD-124 originally had one of those mounted on it, but it was removed before I bought the 124 - but I still have the armboard with the appropriate cutouts!

The price for the TD-124 + Grado arm was $148.70 in 1961!

 
Underside of the turntable. Looks like a Custom turntable without any suspension and I cannot decipher the motor. Turntable platter was heavy. Spindle is very thick and it had oil on it. Also I saw a abrasion along the line..
IMG_5903.JPG
IMG_5905.JPG
IMG_5906.JPG
IMG_5907.JPG
IMG_5908.JPG
IMG_5910.JPG
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5913.JPG
    IMG_5913.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5915.JPG
    IMG_5915.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
It looks like a DIY turntable.. I still dont know what it is the model of motor used. I will do some more inspection over the weekend...
 
It looks like a DIY turntable.. I still dont know what it is the model of motor used. I will do some more inspection over the weekend...

That looks like a 1/4horse motor............sheeeeeesh!!!!!! somebody missing a blower motor off their HVAC?
 
A lot of the old hysteresis motors used in some home and most professional turntables were huge. The Ashland used by Rek-O-Kut is about the size of a big can of stewed tomatoes.

LOL.........yeah, and earlier today I went through another 1.5W Haydon motor, it's the size of a 50cent piece
 
I knew that platter mat and motor looked familiar! You have a Japanese-made Realistic Hysteresis turntable (or a very similar table from the same manufacturer) that has been inexplicably gutted and rebuilt on a plywood board.
 
I've been on the hunt (on and off) for a clean, complete example. My Thorens TD-124 originally had one of those mounted on it, but it was removed before I bought the 124 - but I still have the armboard with the appropriate cutouts!

The price for the TD-124 + Grado arm was $148.70 in 1961!


@beatcomber You can have shot in this auction if you want to make the turntable relive its glory days...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/18206288638...3&exe=13905&ext=35588&sojTags=exe=exe,ext=ext
 
Aw poop, it's busted!

broken.......I didn't see no "Cadillac bumper bullets" on it nowhere........and I went back to look when ya mentioned busted.
Our 5th grade teacher explained the difference between busted and broken......'cause that lady was indeed busted.

Marc(certainly made our day)Morin
 
Back
Top Bottom