I recently acquired a Grado Signature JR cartridge. At least I think it is one. There is not much online discussion of this cartridge and I am curious about other people's experiences. My cartridge has the characteristic visual cue of a stylized JG in a circle on the bottom of the cartridge and it came packed in the original Signature metal tube. The internal wiring appears to be copper. In other words, it looks like a typical last generation Joe Grado Signature cartridge.
According to the spec sheet that came with the cartridge a Signature JR has a resistance of 475 ohms and an output of 3.5 MV. However, my cartridge has a measured resistance of around 770 ohms on both channels and an output that seems lower than 3.5 MV. I am using an 8MZ stylus as the original JR stylus was damaged and not using any loading as it seems to sound best without.
Subjectively the output does not seem to be much greater than my Signature TLZ which has an output of 1.5 MV. Soundwise the cartridge is more similar to my Signature TLZ than my G1+ (with an 8MZ stylus and 22 Ohm loading resistors). However, I am surprised that the measured resistance and subjective output are significantly different than the specs. Is this typical of the Signature JR? Is there another Signature cartridge that has these specs? In other words do I have something other than a Grado Signature JR, or is mine defective in some way (albeit with seemingly OK sound quality).
Any insight is appreciated.
Jim
According to the spec sheet that came with the cartridge a Signature JR has a resistance of 475 ohms and an output of 3.5 MV. However, my cartridge has a measured resistance of around 770 ohms on both channels and an output that seems lower than 3.5 MV. I am using an 8MZ stylus as the original JR stylus was damaged and not using any loading as it seems to sound best without.
Subjectively the output does not seem to be much greater than my Signature TLZ which has an output of 1.5 MV. Soundwise the cartridge is more similar to my Signature TLZ than my G1+ (with an 8MZ stylus and 22 Ohm loading resistors). However, I am surprised that the measured resistance and subjective output are significantly different than the specs. Is this typical of the Signature JR? Is there another Signature cartridge that has these specs? In other words do I have something other than a Grado Signature JR, or is mine defective in some way (albeit with seemingly OK sound quality).
Any insight is appreciated.
Jim
