• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Grado SR80e's vs. SR125e's

Natitude

Addicted Member
I'm looking to get my first set of headphones. I'm looking between the Grado SR80's and the Sar125e's. My question for everyone is what's the differences between the two? I've read that there a little better soundstage and lows a little more detailed with the 125's. I just wanted to get opinions from owners here. Wasn't sure if the $50 more is worth it for the 125's or save the money and get 80's? Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
I found that the Grado line seems to best at skipped price points starting with the 60s; I tried the *entire* line once during a Headroom "on the road" tour to reach that conclusion (regarding bang per buck).

I owned a pair of 125s for a while until my son destroyed them; I currently own 225e's (would have preferred 325e's but I was made an offer on a new pair I couldn't refuse).

IMHO I think it was definitely worth the difference between the 80s and 125s.

Of course, YMMV and it's up to your ears - if you have an opportunity to try both, I suggest that you do so.

Happy Listening and Good Luck on your hunt!
DeeCee
 
I found that the Grado line seems to best at skipped price points starting with the 60s; I tried the *entire* line once during a Headroom "on the road" tour to reach that conclusion (regarding bang per buck).

I owned a pair of 125s for a while until my son destroyed them; I currently own 225e's (would have preferred 325e's but I was made an offer on a new pair I couldn't refuse).

IMHO I think it was definitely worth the difference between the 80s and 125s.

Of course, YMMV and it's up to your ears - if you have an opportunity to try both, I suggest that you do so.

Happy Listening and Good Luck on your hunt!
DeeCee

Thanks for the reply! And I figured that might be the case. I did find a dealer close to me, so I figured I'd stop in and try them out like you recommended. I'm sure then my ears will decide which ones.
 
I have a very old pair of SR 80's and a 2 year old pair of the SR125 that I picked up on a demo sale. Not much difference except the SR125 have more top end, they are cleaner in the vocals, and they seem to be more transparent. Both are great headphones. If you go to a "Grado Store" which carries the whole line, DO NOT TRY the Grado PS500e or you will be looking for your credit card!
 
I have a very old pair of SR 80's and a 2 year old pair of the SR125 that I picked up on a demo sale. Not much difference except the SR125 have more top end, they are cleaner in the vocals, and they seem to be more transparent. Both are great headphones. If you go to a "Grado Store" which carries the whole line, DO NOT TRY the Grado PS500e or you will be looking for your credit card!
Same goes for the RS series...
 
I have a very old pair of SR 80's and a 2 year old pair of the SR125 that I picked up on a demo sale. Not much difference except the SR125 have more top end, they are cleaner in the vocals, and they seem to be more transparent. Both are great headphones. If you go to a "Grado Store" which carries the whole line, DO NOT TRY the Grado PS500e or you will be looking for your credit card!

Lol! I've already told myself to stay strong and try nothing better than the 125's... have to stay within my CASH budget :D
 
I found that the Grado line seems to best at skipped price points starting with the 60s; I tried the *entire* line once during a Headroom "on the road" tour to reach that conclusion (regarding bang per buck).

I owned a pair of 125s for a while until my son destroyed them; I currently own 225e's (would have preferred 325e's but I was made an offer on a new pair I couldn't refuse).

IMHO I think it was definitely worth the difference between the 80s and 125s.

Of course, YMMV and it's up to your ears - if you have an opportunity to try both, I suggest that you do so.

Happy Listening and Good Luck on your hunt!
DeeCee

I have a very old pair of SR 80's and a 2 year old pair of the SR125 that I picked up on a demo sale. Not much difference except the SR125 have more top end, they are cleaner in the vocals, and they seem to be more transparent. Both are great headphones. If you go to a "Grado Store" which carries the whole line, DO NOT TRY the Grado PS500e or you will be looking for your credit card!

I forgot to ask y'all. The one negative I keep reading about the two are the headbands and how uncomfortable they are. Did y'all find this to be true? If so, did you upgrade the headband? Where did you get it if you did?

Thanks again!
 
I got to meet Joe Grado once. He was having a CD pressed at my plant. While waiting on test press samples, he hung out with me and my co-workers, in the audio mastering department, most of the day. Joe told audio 'war stories', and demo'd his then unreleased SR-1 headphones. We were all blown away with how good they sounded. My friend bought the demo pair! Wonder what those would be worth now?

As to the comfort of the Grado headband; mine are fine. SR-60s and 80s, no issues. And I have a big head! :rolleyes:
 
No headband issues - the only rub (so to speak) I have with them are the earpieces. I rarely do multi-hour listening sessions with them anyway.
 
I got to meet Joe Grado once. He was having a CD pressed at my plant. While waiting on test press samples, he hung out with me and my co-workers, in the audio mastering department, most of the day. Joe told audio 'war stories', and demo'd his then unreleased SR-1 headphones. We were all blown away with how good they sounded. My friend bought the demo pair! Wonder what those would be worth now?

As to the comfort of the Grado headband; mine are fine. SR-60s and 80s, no issues. And I have a big head! :rolleyes:

That's pretty cool!! And no telling how much those would be worth today. And thanks for answering the headband question... good to know, because I have a big head too. Although I'm not really sure what is really in thereo_O
 
That's pretty cool!! And no telling how much those would be worth today. And thanks for answering the headband question... good to know, because I have a big head too. Although I'm not really sure what is really in thereo_O

We're just like the Universe. We have an ever expanding vacuum...! :D
 
Back
Top Bottom