• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Grado Statement/Reference for 919 Sansui

Register to hide this ad
I just want to brag on the sound of my Grado Statement/Reference .5 mv Low output pickup feeding the MC input of my Sansui AU-919. It took some doing to get the input resistance correct. The Grado needs a 47Kohm input. I had to change some resistors to get it right. Here's the story:...
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=383840

So, you got the Grado sounding like it's supposed to? I know in past threads, you were a little non-plused with it comparing a properly loaded 97xE. Should be quite a diference in carts, in every category you can think of. My "lowly" Reference Sonata-1 does quite well.
 
Thanks marcmorin. It is better than my SAS/Shure combo. It should be though. I first had the Reference/Sonata high output. It had a problem tracking some of my older LP's. You would think a $500 Grado wouldn't have that problem. Anyway, I sent it back to Grado to have them check it out. The old man John Chapis (I think thats how you spell his last name) left it in the head-phone department and forgot about it. After a few weeks I called him and they felt so bad about it (and the tracking problem) that they sent me the $1200 reference. They ask me if I wanted the high or low output. Because I had a MC section in my 919 I decided to try the low output called the Statement/Reference. I didn't know about the 47K thing for the low output version. As you read, I got it solved.
Now I'm wondering if there is much difference between mine and the newest version with the #1 added to the end.
 
Thanks marcmorin. It is better than my SAS/Shure combo. It should be though. I first had the Reference/Sonata high output. It had a problem tracking some of my older LP's. You would think a $500 Grado wouldn't have that problem. Anyway, I sent it back to Grado to have them check it out. The old man John Chapis (I think thats how you spell his last name) left it in the head-phone department and forgot about it. After a few weeks I called him and they felt so bad about it (and the tracking problem) that they sent me the $1200 reference. They ask me if I wanted the high or low output. Because I had a MC section in my 919 I decided to try the low output called the Statement/Reference. I didn't know about the 47K thing for the low output version. As you read, I got it solved.
Now I'm wondering if there is much difference between mine and the newest version with the #1 added to the end.

I can't answer for the Reference and the +1 version of it. I owned an original Sonata, it huffed a diamond after three years (way out of warrantee) I sent it back to have them check as "why" and to have it retipped. They sent me a new +1 version and told me they had no idea why the diamond shattered. As in your case. FOC :thmbsp: Anyway, there is a big jump from the original to the +1 version. It's the only Grado I own that has both the "older" voicing/sound stage, and the "newer" voicing/soundstage.
 
I don't know maybe I am missing something, but I thought with the RIAA equalization that a 47K resistance was pretty much the standard.

I have been wondering how those Grado wood body reference cartridges sound and have not seen a lot of talk regarding them. I certainly would think they should sound much better than a lower budget Shure.
 
I don't know maybe I am missing something, but I thought with the RIAA equalization that a 47K resistance was pretty much the standard.

I have been wondering how those Grado wood body reference cartridges sound and have not seen a lot of talk regarding them. I certainly would think they should sound much better than a lower budget Shure.

The standard for a MC stage is not 47K. Thats what makes the low-output Grado's different. They are made for a MC input but must be at 47Kohms. You must make sure your MC stage can be adjusted to 47K.:nono: If not,... go with the high output version which can be ran into a standard MM stage.
 
Back
Top Bottom