• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Grado Stylus Gauge

ruffian

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
It says:

Grado Stylus Gauge
  • Set Gauge on Record
  • Place Coins On Gauge
  • Adjust Tone Arm To Balance Gauge
  • 2 Pennies = 1 Gram
  • Each Additional Penny = 1 Gram
  • 4 Pennies = 3 Gram

The two dimples above the penny are the pivot point. It was inside an old Dust Bug box along with three pennies dated '64 '66 and '68, so I assume it got used.

For now I think I'll stick with my Shure Force Gauge.
 

Attachments

  • P1230030.JPG
    P1230030.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 48
Register to hide this ad
I have a cheapo; cheapo ar stylus gauge that's totally plastic. The beam, base and weights are all plastic that even look and feel cheap. I recently checked it against my new digital scale for accuracy. I couldn't believe it. The damn el cheapo ar plastic junker is only off by 2 one hundredths of a gram. What might that be I wonder? Possibly the weight of a pregnant mosquito? Decided to keep the little junker after that as 2 one hundredths is plenty close enough for me.
 
The old Garrard scales still fetch a pretty penny on ebay. I've seen them go for over $50 LNIB!!! Despite the fact that they look cool, they are apparently very accurate....I'll still take my $20 Shure guage anyday.

James R.
 
Shure SFG-2 is unusable with Decca cartridges and many moving coil cartridges because the stylus platform is steel and interacts with cartridges having an external magnetic field.
 
Shure SFG-2 is unusable with Decca cartridges and many moving coil cartridges because the stylus platform is steel and interacts with cartridges having an external magnetic field.

Only if the Shure gauge is made of 4 series steel. All 3 of mine are 3 series steel and non-magnetic. I don't know why Shure did that for a period of time.
 
I have the AR mentioned, the Garrard SPG-3 and Shure SFG-2 manual gauges. I prefer the Shure buy a good margin. All three work well. The Shure unit just seems ot fit all of my applications while the others do not.
 
I have a cheapo; cheapo ar stylus gauge that's totally plastic. The beam, base and weights are all plastic that even look and feel cheap. I recently checked it against my new digital scale for accuracy. I couldn't believe it. The damn el cheapo ar plastic junker is only off by 2 one hundredths of a gram. What might that be I wonder? Possibly the weight of a pregnant mosquito? Decided to keep the little junker after that as 2 one hundredths is plenty close enough for me.

Might be the same one I got with my AR XA turn table.

Might be worth a few pennies on Ebay! :D
 
My fave is the Audio Technica stamped alu beam, so simple & cheap it could be in Cracker Jacks. It works as well for all practical purposes as any of the others.
 
I ought to get one of the Garrard gauges. I have some stuff, actually on two of my Garrards, that need more than the 3g I can get from the SFG2. The old Type A just needs a little more heft to reliably kick the cycle cam over and not just stall the stylus in one spot because it can't overcome the friction of the mechanism.
 
Back
Top Bottom