• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Graphic EQ's...opinions

fabrok

2 turntables and no mic
Hi all, am looking to add a bit more control, eq wise, to my quad 33/303.
Am open to new or vintage, have a decent condition howland west MX850 avail to use but its a bit big and bulky. Would like something with some sort of VU / rack size prefereably but am open to anything really.
Doesnt have to have masses of bands just enough for real world eq'ing vinyl and CD's thru to my Ditton 44's as the quad is lovely sounding but limited in its eq adjustment.
Any thoughts appreciated
cheers guys
arlen
 
Register to hide this ad
Using a JVC SEA-33 right now I got from AK member ETLS with a Kenwood KA-995 integrated amp, driving Acoustic Research 5s. Very nice sound.

There are some nice eq's out there like ADC Sound Shapers, JVC SEA line, Soundcraftsmen, Technics & others. A lot of people like parametrics too & I hope to use one someday.

Rome
 
Last edited:
I've been finding that the size of the room as well as the acoustical properties of said room matter A LOT in terms of EQ. I was slowly-becoming an EQ-convert, using some extra bass and/or treble to tailor my system to different types of music. But that finally stopped when I got my current speakers. Now everything is just right in terms of EQ and dispersion, but it's also made me realize that my room needs major help in the acoustic-treatment dept (I already knew it was bad, but not THIS bad). I'd love to just tear down the sheetrock and go to town, but... it's complicated. Hopefully I can get by with just two big panels and a couple of bass traps...

If it was me, I'd go with a nice, simple, high-quality vintage EQ (Maybe a refurbished one from a fellow AK'er? :scratch2:).
 
Last edited:
I have a JVC SEA 40. 7 bands for each channel. Very nice being able to control the sound this way.
IMG_1292.jpg

My JVC R-S77 has a 5 band EQ built into the receiver. I would not be satisfied with just Base & Treble controls.

Glenn
 
  • Like
Reactions: Bk1
I prefer 31 band graphics. can really fine tune problem frequencies.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2
 
I picked up a ten-band Realistic from a pawn shop for 20 bucks. Not only does it make my bookshelf speakers sound better near-field, it also has a pretty display. Win-win!

It also doesn't add any noise as far as I can tell, even being in the signal path all the time.
 
I use a two channel 31band graphic EQ in one of my systems.. a favorite... lots more control than a 10 or 12 band..
 
amazing thanks guys, found a sound shaper 3 on the bay, by all accounts most people seem to agree they are nice
 
I use a two channel 31band graphic EQ in one of my systems.. a favorite... lots more control than a 10 or 12 band..
Me too.
Dual 31 band ART equalizer.
Standard rack size and priced decently. Plus it has RCA input/output jacks.
 
Maybe it's a quirk in my demented personality but the best thing I ever did was getting rid of my EQ. Nothing wrong with the EQ itself but having all the sliders to tweak just about made me go insane. I could not resist messing with it whenever another song came on. So glad it's gone. :yes:

My advice, get better speakers that don't need EQ. :thmbsp:
 
Maybe it's a quirk in my demented personality but the best thing I ever did was getting rid of my EQ. Nothing wrong with the EQ itself but having all the sliders to tweak just about made me go insane. I could not resist messing with it whenever another song came on. So glad it's gone. :yes:

My advice, get better speakers that don't need EQ. :thmbsp:

I set mine and forget it... It's not always about the speakers.. a lot of times it about the room...
 
I deal with the room by speaker location.

Some times you don't have that option.. and also, no matter how good a speaker you have, one place or another, there's gonna be a spot in there you just don't like and wanna tame or raise...

As my ears get older, my treble keeps getting boosted a little more..
 
Back
Top Bottom