• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Grease for plastic TT gears

fore

Member
Hi all,

While I'm waiting for the arm belt for my newly acquired Technics SL-QL1, I figured I might as well clean and relube all the mechanisms inside.

This is where I'm stuck, what to use to relube the plastic gears with. Google pointed me towards silicone grease, but I can't seam to find any. What do you guys use for this? I was thinking dielectic grease would be a good substitute.


Just thought I'd get some feedback who may have done this already.


Thanks, Adam
 
Register to hide this ad
White lithium grease seems to be the peoples choice but silicone grease (plumbing section) works well also.
 
I have successfully used SIL-GLYDE to replace the grease on the mechanisms of my Dual and Garrard turntables. Its silicone based. I think any of the above suggestions would work just fine.
 
I also use Sil-Glide from Napa, but quite frankly its just a big tube of dielectric grease near as I can tell. I use it for dielectric grease at any rate. It is a bit more tan in color than the Permatex "tune up grease", but it seems to work the same.
 
Super Lube Synthetic Grease with PTFE (Teflon) Multi-Purpose Lubricant. About $7 for a 3 ounce tube. Comes in a grey toothpaste type tube. Great stuff. Plastic safe and with never dry out or gum up.
Rick
 
I also use Sil-Glide from Napa, but quite frankly its just a big tube of dielectric grease near as I can tell. I use it for dielectric grease at any rate. It is a bit more tan in color than the Permatex "tune up grease", but it seems to work the same.

Sil-glide was formulated for brake hardware. Where it goes under tremendous temperature extremes. Used mostly in the slider pin assembly. if it won't "dry out" under those conditions, it will probably never "dry out" in a turntable.
 
If you have a hobby shop locally, look for lubricants used for model trains.

I have some "Labelle 106 Grease with PTFE". Lighter than the standard white lithium grease you find for general use and plastic safe. Package even says 'for electronics'. I've used it for all sorts of turntable mechanisms, cassette decks, CD player trays, etc.
 
I'm wary of standard greases because over the years they can harden, yellow and otherwise damage certain plastics. Stick with something that actually claims to be safe for plastics. Of course, not all plastics are created equal in resistance to chemical damage.

"Dielectric grease" is a bit of strangeness because all greases are dielectric unless specifically formulated to be electrically conductive. They ought to just say silicone and waterproof as that tells you a lot more. IMO, one of the most important properties for greases we use is that they don't turn into a hard epoxy-like substance over the years. Ever service an old Dual or a Pfaff sewing machine? The newer synthetics and silicones should be way better in this regard.

I've had good luck with Molycote PG-30L. Very light grease suited to precision instruments and plastics. You can also get kits of high tech lubricants from Nye or their distributors with suitable lubes. I avoid almost everything you can get at the auto parts store, other than the silicone. A well stocked gun or sporting goods shop, or hobby shop is usually a better source for good oils and greases.
 
Sil-glide was formulated for brake hardware. Where it goes under tremendous temperature extremes. Used mostly in the slider pin assembly. if it won't "dry out" under those conditions, it will probably never "dry out" in a turntable.

I use it on caliper slides as well. It just also happens to work fine for plug wires and Garrards.
 
Throwing in another vote for Sil-Glyde, which I buy at a local appliance parts store. I've been using it for on turntables (especially Duals) for over 20 years now, and it's been problem-free.
 
Go to your local bicycle shop and purchase a tube of GripShift lubricant, formulated specifically for plastic gears.

:yes:
 
I'm always using high quality teflon lube and teflon oil - everywhere except the tonearm lifting mechanism of course - that's 300.000cSt
 
Back
Top Bottom