• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Great "Every Day Carry" knives

Today`s Sharp & Pointy ridealong is the Kershaw 1850, the all-Ti version of the Tyrade (a Ken Onion design). This knife came out about a year before Onion joined up with Strider, and the Zero Tolerance line was released. Familial DNA between the lines is pretty evident. Best ergonomics I`ve ever felt in a folder....
upload_2018-5-7_18-48-1.png
 
The Benchmade Contego definitely punches above it`s weight class....while being in the "Large and In Charge" category, size wise, the reasonably light weight and slim profile make it easy to carry. That FFG M4 tool-steel blade takes & holds a fine edge, too.

upload_2018-5-19_0-35-19.png
 
Been carrying Benchmade knives since their inception. Ernest Emerson the maker is a great guy. I carry his name brand Emerson daily. My currant knife, I won in 2010, at a sniper school for shooting top gun. Carried it daily, since I got it.

I've purchased a bench made, for everybody in the family, wife, son, daughter, daughter in law,and son in law. Also have a few OTF, bladed knives, on being a bench made. Just gifted my nephew with a benchmade OTF, when he graduated from Marine Corps Basic, as an 0311, grunt.

Dirk
 
You have excellent taste Maxx! The Osborne Emissary 470-1 is the EDC knife that I selected. See post #47. I love the thumb safety. As much as I liked other knives, and still do, the thumb safety made all the difference for me.
 
You have excellent taste Maxx! The Osborne Emissary 470-1 is the EDC knife that I selected. See post #47. I love the thumb safety. As much as I liked other knives, and still do, the thumb safety made all the difference for me.
Yes, I appreciate the lock feature too. Probably a good part of the reason why my #580 Barrage (also an Osborne design) has been in my pocket every day for the past 3 years or so....it has a safety lock on top of the backstrap which secures the axis lock against accidental opening or closing. Good stuff !
 
My first-ever knife, given to me by my dear old Scottish Grandpa, when I was about eight or nine. He was a Merchant Sailor for many years, used to pay me a quarter for every new knot I learned to tie, that`s where I got much of my early education from. Don`t know how or why this knife is still around, I thought it was gone several times, but it kept turning up again ! :-)

upload_2018-7-23_20-1-8.png
 
MV, agree, I've been carrying BM, and Ernest Emerson knives professionally since they came out.

Their ARE better knives, however from a cost comparative angle, it's difficult to rationalize a better knife then BM for the price.

Don't know if I mentioned this, I won this knife when this particular color and style were not on the market. That was 2010. It's been with me everyday from that date. EXCEPT, last month while a a Concert in Reno Nevada, this knife was seized by security.

I went to get it back from the Grands Sierra Resort security. And they didn't have it in their evidence locker. I was pissed. I called daily for- week, even had my old Sheriff call on my behalf. Had a friend from Reno PD call, no joy.

So I did some research, and discovered that a clerical error had been made. Once I pointed that out, and told them I wasn't looking to have a good employee fired, I just wanted my knife back. Last Friday I,got an email, stating the error had been corrected in the paper trail, my knife arrived the following Monday, with a sincere apology.

I'm greatful to ESI security, and GSR's security crews for their attention to detail. My knife hasn't been out of my sight since then. I was very fortunate, to recover this awesome blade.

Dirk
 
MV, if you have time look up,an old friend of mine,,who's making very,very high end knives. " Indy Knives" are so,e fantastic works of art, funtional, well balanced works of art. At a price point anyone can afford. I'm a big fan,of his,daggers, their the rolled steal craft, the name escapes me at this moment.

I like to give my nieces and nephews, and other relatives who are in their 20s, good kit. I've given each of them a BM, and last year each got one of these daggers, the metals 9091 which requires a bit more care, but is hard, and hold a sharp blade well. For 100.00 apiece their great gifts, IF the recipient is a responsible individual.


Boys, have a look at Indy Knives, I,think,all,of,you will appriciate his attention,to,detail, and again his prices.

Dirk
 
IMG_2647.JPG IMG_2649.JPG I am not a hardcore knife guy, I always have one in my pocket. I have carried this old (1970) Boker Tree Brand 712 auto for years. And then yesterday I bought this Kershaw Launch 7 auto. I am going to give the Boker a rest.
 
Nice leveretto....I never knew Boker made them, looks quite similar to the Hubertus line....

I am not familiar with Hubertus. Are they also an older knife?

A good friend of mine carried this Boker and when he passed away about 15 years ago, his ex (who he despised) was selling off his stuff. I bought his knife and have carried it over the years in memory of Jim. I cherish it as much today as I did when I got it. Apparently they are pretty scarce. I have contacted Bill Deshivs in TN and I am going to send it to him and have him go through it as the blade lacks about 1/4" of going fully back into the handle upon closing. When I get it back it will mostly be a show n tell knife for me. I think they call them a lever lock.
 
Back
Top Bottom