• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Great yard sale find!!!

foxhounds2

New Member
I used to moan about never finding a real bargain at a yard sale or flea market. Well , about 3 or 4 months ago I landed a pair of Polk Audio Monitor 10's for $40. I was very happy about that find. Last Saturday I saw a pair of speakers from the road at one yard sale and told my wife they probably weren't worth stopping for. An hour or two later we came back by the same yard sale and the speakers were still there. This time curiousity got the best of me. Boy am I glad I stopped!!! A pair of JBL L100's, for $20. The only problem was the tweeters were blown. I fitted a pair of new titanium dome tweeters to the faceplates of the LE25's. They sound awesome. If I can find a pair of the original tweeters for a fair price I will change them. Otherwise, I am happy with the way they sound now.
 
Register to hide this ad
Two nice scores and two somewhat different sounding sets of speakers, I would surmise. You bested me on the Polk 10s---I paid $50 for my set.
 
Congratulations! Reminds me of the Thorens TT I passed on for $20.00 a few years ago...clean and still in the box. If only I knew then...

Here's my list of yard sale/thrift goodies:

EPI T/E 100s clean and usable $10.00
Advent orange tweeters (radius front) $30.00 Goodwill $180.00 to restore
Dual 1264 TT-$15.00 Goodwill
Minimus-7 clean pair $25.00 pawn shop
MCS 3125 receiver $50.00 pawn shop
Pioneer SX-1010 $10.00 yard sale
Technics M240X cassette deck $15.00 yard sale
Onkyo Integra cassette deck $15.00 Goodwill
JVC VR-5511 receiver free

As I said in another post, the thrill is in the chase for me. Some things I hope to find are Dynaco A-25s, Boston Acoustics A-40s, a better Dual TT, and of course a clean pair of Bozak Grand Concerts!! I'd also like the Realistic Nova series of '70s lattice-front speakers.
 
Congrats, Man! Nothing feels better than a nice score after a long dry spell... :thmbsp:
 
you'd be amazed what you'll find if you just pay attention. I scored some pristine Pioneer HPM-60s for $30 recently. Not L100s, but not shabby either.

There there was the time that our local university cleared and upgraded their listening lab by throwing the old stuff in the dumpster. This is the singular event that inspires me to keep looking. I dragged home amps, high-end pioneer cassette decks and three (!) teac reel to reels. Not bad for $0.00.
 
Back
Top Bottom