• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Greatest Rock Frontman of All Time?

Not my personal favorite, but in thier prime, David Lee Roth of Van Halen had the crowd in the palm of his hands.

Dave Wyndorf, Monster Magnet

Bono, U2

Eddie Vedder, Pearl Jam

Just a few I like.

J
 
Lots of good ones fellas. Some I had forgotten about.

How about Bon Scott? It really doesn't get more 'Rock-n-Roll' than AC/DC, does it?

Cheers,
Russ
 
I was going to say Roger Daltrey until Bon Scott's name was mentioned..

I hadn't even thought about him, initally, but he'd have to get my vote.
 
In terms of wrapping the crowd around his finger, Jim Morrison was a legend. Or rather, judging by his legend, I nominate him.

In terms of innovating ways to add showmanship to a rock concert, I gotta hand it to Alice Cooper.

BUt in terms of putting on th emost purely entertaining concert I have seen - I'm completely serious - it's hard to top Wierd Al Yankovic.
 
Once again, I'm not a fan, but what about The King?????

Elvis!

Thank you very much!
 
Originally posted by WhiskeyRebel
In terms of wrapping the crowd around his finger, Jim Morrison was a legend. Or rather, judging by his legend, I nominate him.

In terms of innovating ways to add showmanship to a rock concert, I gotta hand it to Alice Cooper.

BUt in terms of putting on th emost purely entertaining concert I have seen - I'm completely serious - it's hard to top Wierd Al Yankovic.



I just saw Weird Al in concert a few months ago. It was the night after both his parents died of cabon-monoxide poisoning. Everybody was in shock that he actually went on with his performance. And you're right, that was one of the best performances I've ever seen. My 10 year-old son just loves that guy. I did catch Mick and the boys when they were doing their VooDoo Lounge Tour a few years back and I liked the Weird Al concert better. Just my $.02




Retro
 
For my money, the best has to be either Eric Burdon and / or Country Joe MacDonald.

paulsen-jaggerwithdate.jpg


tim.jpg


What?

No Tiny Tim??????
 
Cool poster, I forgot about The Collectors. I think I have an album of their's too. If not I should. :p:

Carl
 
WOW!! that looks like the one I cut off the back of a cereal box ...back in Ninteen sixtysomething....:D
 
In their youth the following:

Robert Plant- Zeppelin

Alvin Lee- Ten Years After

Mark Farner- Grand Funk Railroad

Jack Bruce- Cream

Greg Allman- The Allman Brothers Band

Dickie Petersen- Blue Cheer

Chuck Berry

Johnny Cash

Jerry Lee Lewis

Ted Nugent

Ozzie Ozbourne-Black Sabbath

David Bowie- The Ziggy years

Ian Gillian-Deep Purple

Lennon & Mcartney

And the beat goes on........:guitar:
 
Last edited:
The first person I thought of when I read the titile to this thread was Freddy Mercury...probably hands down the winner.

But what about Kurt Cobain. Maybe not the flair and showmanship that Mercury had but there was something about him that you couldn't take your eyes off of when he was performing. The time that I seen them I really couldn't tell you what the other two members of Nirvana did, but I know exactly what Cobain did for almost the entire show.

j
 
I agree with Johnny, while Sammy Hagar is a superior singer, "Diamond" Dave(in his heyday of the early 80s, of course) was Van Halen's- and one of Rock's- best frontmen. Still, for longevity and consistent quality, no one surpasses the likes of Roger Daltrey, Robert Plant, Steven Tyler(save for a few years in the 70s), and certainly Mick Jagger. Bob Dylan is a good choice, too, if a bit unconventional. The sadly departed Micheal Hutchence of INXS also comes to mind. Growing up in the 80s, I can attest that he ruled the pop scene in the latter half of that decade. I'd also add David Gahan of Depeche Mode to the list. He's a pure frontman- I don't think he's written any of their songs(at least not the significant ones); that's been mostly Martin Gore's job.

Kurt Cobain tried to make himself out to be the anti-frontman, in accordance with his general rebellion against "mainstream/corporate" rock. He failed miserably, of course, in his tragically brief career. When you've penned most of the music and lyrics in the group, and have such a naturally intense stage presense, you can help but be considered a true frontman.

Lastly, not unlike- and perhaps even more than- Paul McCartney*, Sting was a frontman whose ego grew way too big for the rest of The Police. So he went solo- to the detriment of his music, but the betterment of his back account.:rolleyes:

*I hope I don't ruffle any feathers by saying this, but Paul McCartney is ultimately responsible for the break-up of the Beatles. Sure, the talentless mistress of screech, Yoko Ono may have played a part, but it was Paul's reaction to her, his bloated ego, and his prominent position that precipitated the group's needlessly permanent disintegration.:(

Cheers.
:beerchug:
-AlphaLima
 
Last edited:
You guys would probably laugh, but Glenn Danzig of the Misfits was as big a frontman in the punk scene as they came. Maynard of Tool is another great frontman.
 
No laughing about Danzig. I would've included him, too. He was somewhat less extreme fronting his later, eponymous band, though their first two albums are pretty good(I got 'em). He's a sometimes(unintentionally) campy mix of Elvis, Jim Morrison and Anton Le Vay, wrapped up in a visage that looks uncannily like the comic book version of Wolverine.
:bat:

I dunno about Tool's singer, though I've never seen him in concert. Going by the group's inimitable and haunting videos, the entire band is rather self-effacing, seemingly wishing people to focus entirely on the thier music and the often frightful and depressing visions showcased on the screen.:yikes: He is a darn good singer, though.

I consider a true "frontman" to be more than just a band's lead singer. He or she must be a true showman and entertainer, with a large, magnetic personality that absolutely demands your attention. That's why I consider David Lee Roth to be Van Halen's- and one of Rock's- greatest frontmen, even though Sammy Hagar is a markedly superior vocalist.

One good, if quirky, frontman not yet mentioned is Tom Petty. He wouldn't be in my top-10, but he's been a consistently good performer for well over two decades, now.

Cheers.
:beerchug:
-AlphaLima
 
Screamin' Jay Hawkins.

Before there was Jagger. Before there was The Boss. Before there was Daltrey. Before just about all of the aforementioned if not ALL the aforementioned "bad boys"...........

There was a man who used to get carried out on stage in a casket.

"I put a SPELL on youuu, CAUSE your MIIIIIINE!!!!"

Classic lunatic. LONG before it was cool to be nuts. A true original.

TA
 
Back
Top Bottom