• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Greetings from Austin, TX!

CelticKnot

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hi everyone,

I joined about a month back and have made a few posts and participated in a couple topics, but haven't yet introduced myself.

My name is Kyle and I live in Austin, TX. I have been a life-long music lover and am just starting to really get back into audio. As a teenager I had the typical inexpensive Fischer stack with amp, tuner, double tape deck, CD, EQ, etc. in my room and made lots of mix tapes.

In college I bought my first true system consisting of a Sony ES receiver, a Sony ES 5-disc carousel, and a pair of Klipsch KG-4s, wired up with Monster Cable of course. The ES components are long gone (well, the amp may still be in my attic) but the speakers remain! They are in use in my upstairs setup and are as badass as ever. They're powered by a newer Sony AV HDMI switching amp since there is a TV and several sources involved. During my college years in the early 90s and well beyond, I amassed quite a large CD collection that I never got rid of, even if I started leaning on MP3s and then streaming, mostly out of convenience. I moved those CDs around with me from apartment to house to house multiple times and I'm glad I did.

...because, about a year and a half ago, I acquired a 300-disc Sony mega changer off of CL for cheap, and thus began my foray into vintage audio gear. I am just getting fed up with subscriptions, not owning any physical media, paying for the same stuff over and over again. You know. Soon after I bought that 300-disc, I picked up a pair of Pioneer CS-55s, again from CL, again for cheap. I connected everything up to a Sony STR-DN860 and loaded up some discs. Pretty soon I realized that 300 was not nearly enough, so I sourced a 400-disc, again from CL and loaded that one up. Then the 300 died and no matter what I tried (and I tried), I couldn't get it back in action. Replaced the laser and everything. I think it was the spindle motor or something with the sled assembly but I gave up and ended up buying yet another 400-disc (yep, off of CL... sensing a pattern here?). That 400 needed new belts and once I de-gunked the old tar-i-fied belts and put new ones on, it works like a champ. Not bad for $75.

Recently, which is what brought me to this forum, I purchased a Sony STR-7800 DS off of (you guessed it) CL, and it's a BEAST. It replaced the STR-DN860 (which itself is pretty powerful) but the STR-7800 DS will blow the windows out (and my little CS-55s) if I'm not careful! I'll be swapping the CS-55s for the KG-4s at some point . :D In that same purchase I also got a Sansui 4000, which needs some work which I intend to do myself if I can, with the assistance, hopefully, of this community.

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself. Thanks for reading! So far I've interacted with some very cool people that are generous with their advice and experience. I look forward to more of this and hopefully being able to contribute as I continue my journey.

Cheers,

Kyle
CelticKnot
 
Register to hide this ad
Welcome from Michigan, you're off to a great start. Just wait until you see how cheap you can find really good old speakers on CL and marketplace for sometimes. That's when things get interesting.
 
Back
Top Bottom