• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Guitar tone control capacitor.

gearhound

Lunatic Member
I guess you CAN teach an old dog new tricks!?

I've never used my tone controls much.
To me, they had limited range....some were more like on-off switches?
So after listening to me b***h about it for God-knows how many years?
My step-brother sends me four .0047uf/200v NOS Sprague Vitamin Q paper in oil capacitors.
So I stuck one in an old modded Tele I had at home.
Pain-in-the-butt to put into the Tele cavity because....size wise....they were much bigger than the old disc cap.

Well I'll be.................soooo worth the effort IMO!?
Now I have a guitar tone control.........that actually does something!
Dumb, dumb, dumb.....all these years.....well better late than never!?

Steve :music:
 
Register to hide this ad
How well they work depends on many things. Value, a .047uF or .01uF is going to have more range than a .022uF, which is common in many Gibsons and some Fenders. The pot value and whether its a linear or logarthmic taper. The 250k pots lend a warmer sound, but limit control somewhat. Going up to a 500k pot will give you more control, but can thin out the sound. Then there's the choice of mylar (bad, IMO), ceramic disc (a good inexpensive choice) or one's like you chose, which are great if you can fit them into the cavity.
 
Back
Top Bottom